Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Latest Portage tree withour emerge world?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xaake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Latest Portage tree withour emerge world? Reply with quote

Hello!

I am doing a networkless stage1 installation, using the 2004.0 live CD:s and alot of downloaded distfiles. My problem is that even if I use the latest portage snapshot, when it comes to emerge gimp it emerges gimp 1.2 and not 2.0, it also emerges gnome 2.4 and not 2.6 on emerge gnome.

So since I am quite new to linux, I am thinking, either it has to do with the stage1 tarball I use (wich is the one from the live cd), or there is no substitution for emerge world.

I can't find any newer stage1 tarball than the one from the live cd, so that is not something I can do anything about.

I have not tried doing emerge --fetchonly world to see what files I need, I just got the idea, but if that fails, what do I need to do to get the latest portage tree?

/Rickard Haake
foton2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if I use the latest portage snapshot, when it comes to emerge gimp it emerges gimp 1.2 and not 2.0, it also emerges gnome 2.4 and not 2.6 on emerge gnome.

try

Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge something

Pentium4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz, Intel® Desktop Board D845GEBV2 + LAN, 768MB DDR 266Mhz RAM, 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440, SB Live! 5.1, TEAC CD-552E, TEAC DW-548D, Packard Bell 1512SL Monitor, HP DeskJet 640C, Opti UPS PowerPS 800ps.
Xaake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I was at school when I wrote this post, now that I've tested some things, this is what I want to update:

I am not talking about emerge world, but emerge sync

emerge --fetchonly sync does not work!

I have yet to test foton2's suggestion with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS....(I just started my installation all over).

foton2: I would be glad if you could tell med why your suggestion would work (what does it do?)

Rickard Haake
foton2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge sync

It downloads all new ebuilds to the /usr/portage

Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge something

It install newest something which is not Hard Masked.
New packages are signed as arch ~x86 it means not tested.
Quote:
Masked Packages

When you want to install a package, you might come across the following message:

Code Listing 33: Message about masked packages

Calculating dependencies
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy <your package> have been masked.

A package can be masked due to two reasons:

1. The package is in ~ARCH while you use ARCH
2. The package is hard-masked explicitly

If the package is masked because of the first reason, and you really want to install it (knowing that there is a reason why it isn't available in ARCH), you can temporarily accept ~ARCH packages:

Code Listing 34: Temporarily accepting ~ARCH packages

# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gnumeric

A package is hardmasked if it is listed in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask. If you read this file, you will also read the reason why the package is hardmasked (it is usually added as a comment). If you want to install the package nevertheless (despite all the possible warnings we could ever throw at your head about "breaking your system", "breaks other packages", or "badly needs testing"), create the /etc/portage/package.unmask file and list the package in it (use the same format as is used in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask).

Do not alter the /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask file as all changes are undone the next time you update your Portage tree. If you want to hardmask a package create /etc/portage/package.mask and list the package in it (use the same format as mentioned above).

Pentium4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz, Intel® Desktop Board D845GEBV2 + LAN, 768MB DDR 266Mhz RAM, 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440, SB Live! 5.1, TEAC CD-552E, TEAC DW-548D, Packard Bell 1512SL Monitor, HP DeskJet 640C, Opti UPS PowerPS 800ps.
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaake wrote:
emerge --fetchonly sync does not work!

The --fetchonly argument is to be used when you are actually grabbing packages. You do not want to use this switch with sync. You would use it if, for example, at school you have a fast net connection and a burner. You could
Code:
# emerge --fetchonly foo

Then burn the downloaded source file to disk, take it home and copy it over. Then when you emerge at home, it won't have to download the source file over your slow connection.

HTH,
Michael
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Portage tree withour emerge world? Reply with quote

Xaake wrote:
when it comes to emerge gimp it emerges gimp 1.2 and not 2.0, it also emerges gnome 2.4 and not 2.6 on emerge gnome.

gimp-2.0 is currently keyword masked. You can get it like this :
Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gimp

gnome-2.6 is currently hard masked. You can remove the mask here :
Code:
# nano -w /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gnome
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: