CDRom not good enough for it, and the floppys taste terrible
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xeristian/null
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: CDRom not good enough for it, and the floppys taste terrible Reply with quote

I've spent the better part of too much time trying to get this working on my own...

I have an old PPC 7200, but there's little more standard about it than the leads soldered to the parentboard. I have four hard drives to play with, but none of them have a System I can boot from for each a different reason. I'm finding little documentation on my problem as it is, and the only thing that's any useful is the thing I have no way of finding out how to do. I boot into OF and it shows me a black screen of dead, so I'm assuming the output isn't set to anything. I type "bye" case return, and it doesn't seem to care. I can't boot off the Windows made CD for some reason, it seems to ignore the CD drive entirely, and I have no idea if it even functions or not at all besides opening, closing, and blinking appropriately. If i put a floppy disk in, it spits it out on boot, then goes ahead and fails to boot from the foobar OS I got an whatever drive I have chained first.

So, when it comes down to it... I need to boot off a floppy and do a network install, or somehow make it boot off the CD, and there's the possibility that I will require using the OF thingie console... so I need to know how to fix it.

First one who makes this puppy stand on it's own two feet gets a Appreciation Stamp.
Xeristian/null
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to connect the 7200 to my Windows machine using a hand made serial interface (out of Cat5, no less!), and I've gotten into OF. Now I'm stuck with the problem of actually making the thing boot off anything now! I'm still trying to understand the means I'm going to exactly boot from.

As for CD's, is there any special way to burn the ISO's?

Floppies, is there any special way to image the disks?

Is there any good reason why things don't wanna work?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: