Gentoo on 32MB RAM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lytenyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on 32MB RAM Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I was just chatting with someone complaining about her computer being that unstable etc ..
and I said something like: if you give your pc to me for a week, I could install a linux which would be more stable and fulfill your needs (office, browser, email, icq).

After that she told me that it's really slow (don't remember the mhz), contains 32 MB RAM and runs Win95 (!)

So .. I'm not quite sure, if it's wise to install a Gentoo. I mean, will the system (_with_ an X-Server, Desktop,Browser) run sufficiently fast (at last as fast as with win95), will the (minimalistic) programs that run that fast be sufficiently un-nerdy to be used by someone who has no linux experience?

Or should I just get some free, small programs for Win95 and the last service pack and leave it to windows?

lytenyn

(you can leave out the obvious statement: buy a new pc :) )
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend a tenner and get it up to 128MB RAM, and install Gentoo, is what I would do.

If changing hardware was absolutely out of the question, I'd still install Gentoo :P

I have Gentoo installed at home on a P200MMX with 32MB RAM. It works fine. I never tried to build OpenOffice as I would have been there for a week, but I have a fully fledged GNOME 2.6 installation with AbiWord and Gnumeric on a 2.6 kernel, and it runs fine!

I also have a computer of identical spec which runs Windows Me with the 98lite Pro thing. It rips out most of the crap that comes with Windows and makes it into a semi-reasonable OS. It's still slower than my Gentoo box.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
the_y_man
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 megs of ram is not enough to have gnome running smoothly, i tried it on a 233mhz pentium, 196 mb ram, kernel 2.6, and it was choppy.

X takes a lot of memory. Upgrade 128+ mb ram and put xfce4 on it, it's light, and stable (i use kde :) on my boxen).
lytenyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what about kdrive?

It's a X server replacement, isn't it? What functionality will I miss? Is it faster?

is there a way to have a smoothly running X on 32 MB RAM?
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_y_man wrote:
32 megs of ram is not enough to have gnome running smoothly, i tried it on a 233mhz pentium, 196 mb ram, kernel 2.6, and it was choppy.

X takes a lot of memory. Upgrade 128+ mb ram and put xfce4 on it, it's light, and stable (i use kde :) on my boxen).

Well it works fine for me. Check your timer granularity setting in the kernel isn't set too low.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
d0nju4n
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pII 233 with 32mb of ram as well, and fluxbox runs beautifully. I haven't even tried gnome or kde on this box, but since it seems from some other posts that this is still possible, maybe I'll emerge it (wtih distcc, or course :P )
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work fine, although it will take quite some time to compile. My ppro with 64 megs took about 3 days to get from 0 to X. I haven't really researched low memory browsers for linux, anyone have any recommendations?

Remember to compile with -Os. Anything else will take too much memory. -fomit-frame-pointer is fine too. And don't compile with MAKE_OPTS="-j2" leave/change it at/to -j1.

If you *do* decide to leave it with win95, re-install everything from scratch. I get the impression it hasn't had a fresh start in quite some time, (ie- ever) which Windows needs every few months.
lytenyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, fresh installing win really helps, that's also my impression.

I get the impression that you all tell me to, basically, make a standard installation (xorg, all that) [leaving out everything that's not absolutely needed] and taking, say 'standard' programs.

So I could use xorg, fluxbox or even kde3.2 (which afaik much faster than the older versions)?

Or should I try really minimalistic things (I don't know which, though ..)?

And keep in mind that the computer will be for someone who was almost no computer and certainly no linux experience .. so it has to be programs with non-cryptic interfaces ..
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Remember to compile with -Os. Anything else will take too much memory. -fomit-frame-pointer is fine too.

From my experience I'm not sure compiling -Os would save enough ram to be worth the execution time slowdown. And -fomit-frame-pointer does increase code size slightly(and actually slows things down on my c3, but it's a weird proc) so I wouldn't use that if you're going for absolute minimum ram consumption.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how big the hard drive is. You need about 3gig minimum ,4-6gig is what I would recommend, to have a reasonable system and still have room to compile stuff. Gentoo is not the most efficient when it comes to disk space.

Unless you can get more ram, I'd stick to something like fluxbox and rox-desktop or perhaps xfce4. Even fvwm can be "user friendly" if it is set up by someone knowledgeable(not me :wink: ) beforehand. And fvwm is about as lightweight as window managers get, even though it doesn't look it.
And I'd stick with Xorg, I don't think you will find any "minimalistic" xserver currently that actually works with a large number of apps.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with XOrg. I would suggest sticking to a stripped-down 2.4 kernel as 2.6 takes up slightly more RAM and can actually be slower on older machines.

Also, check out something like Fluxbox or XFCE4 instead of KDE/GNOME. They are more light weight, but still have basic features and are easy to navigate.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
lytenyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I see the point with XOrg.

With the 2.4/2.6 kernel, I'm not so sure though .. with 2.6 I could use NPTL with seems to economize memory as well?!?

And the overall question remains: Do you think it will be reasonably fast to use?

I remember my brother's PC (K6 - 400) which took a second to switch from X to console and generally was rather slow .. how much worse must it be with just .. 100 MHz (I don't know exactly) and 32 MB RAM?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: