need help making networking stick and finding lost partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: need help making networking stick and finding lost partition Reply with quote

Hi guys,

ok as my title here suggets I'm a Gentoo n00b, but also a Linux n00b. I've taken on Gentoo knowing full well what I'm getting myself into, but so far I've learned so much and have had enough success to not get disapointed and quit. I've struggled like everyone else and got this to work. I also got Xfree86 to work with a USB MX700 (that was different) and KDE is up and running on a monitor that has no manual (can you say, "what's the frequency Kenneth?"). The tutorial doesnt cover everything so I feel it was an accomplishment to actually get this far. Here's where I'm stuck though.

The LiveCD was great in getting me set up. I was able to emerge anything I needed. The only problem is that now that I have rebooted I have no more network access. I went back to the tutorial and tried to see where I went wrong, but alas, nothing I could find. How would you troubleshoot this? Since I know from the LiveCD that Gentoo can use this NIC I'm not worried about hardware incompatability.

Here's the next problem. I pretty much went exactly as the tutorial save the partitioning. I created a 4th primary partition but cannot see it. I can see my boot and root (I know my swap is unavailable to view), but no 4th. I can see it in fdisk and it does have a filesystem, but I don't know where to mount it. How would I mount a fourth partition?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
johnmc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: need help making networking stick and finding lost parti Reply with quote

Quote:
How would you troubleshoot this? Since I know from the LiveCD that Gentoo can use this NIC I'm not worried about hardware incompatability.

Does the output of dmesg show a NIC has been detected?

Quote:
I can see it in fdisk and it does have a filesystem, but I don't know where to mount it. How would I mount a fourth partition?

Does your /etc/fstab show the fourth parition? If it does you can "mount /mountpoint" and see if it works. If it isn't you can try adding your own entry and see if it will mount. You may need to build a file system on it, I'm not sure why the Gentoo install would omit a parition. If it's in fstab see if it has the noauto flag set and try removing it, if you want it to mount at boot.

Check out the manpages: mount, fstab, mkfs
Toshiba 5205-S703
----------------------------
"Survived the Dotcom crash and happily toiling for the print media again"
Kenja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see my NIC in dmesg. I think I have a problem when I set up my DHCP for cable, but am not sure how to go about resolving it.

As for the /etc/fstab hda4 does not appear. I would add it but at the end of each entry there are 2 numbers and I'm not sure what to enter in them.
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two numbers in an fstab entry are for dump and fsck. The first one flags whether the "dump" program will consider it when doing a backup. Leave it set to zero unless you're using dump for backups (you're not).

The second field determines order of filesystem checking by fsck upon boot. I personally use and recommend the following scheme:
1 for /boot
2 for /
3 for all other automounting disk filesystems
and, of course, 0 for all removable media and network filesystems.

That should help you create an fstab entry for your unused filesystem.
johnmc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenja wrote:
I can see my NIC in dmesg. I think I have a problem when I set up my DHCP for cable, but am not sure how to go about resolving it.

Check "ifconfig -a" and see if you have two entries, for "lo" and for "eth0".

Also check the contents of /etc/conf.d/net, which is where you configure dhcp networking options for network interfaces. Here's an example:

iface_eth1="dhcp"
dhcpcd_eth1="-t 10"

Check the man page "man dhcpcd" to understand the options that should go in this the dhcpcd_eth1 line. Mine looks like dhcpcd_eth1="-t 10 -Y -N -R".

Kenja wrote:

As for the /etc/fstab hda4 does not appear. I would add it but at the end of each entry there are 2 numbers and I'm not sure what to enter in them.

Try "mkdir /mnt/hda4" to create a directory under mount named hda4, then try to mount your partition on that mount point by typing "mount -t auto /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4".

If it doesn't mount, check the system log (/var/log/messages) and see if it gives some kind of error. If the error mentions invalid file system or something similar you might need to create a file system. Read "man mkfs" to find out about doing this. If you decide to create a filesystem on /dev/hda4 be aware that you're going to lose any data that is on that partition when you press enter, so triple-check your typing!

If it does mount, check the output of "mount" to see what kind of file system is on it, or maybe you remember from the install what filesystem you built.

An /etc/fstab entry could look like this:

/dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 ext3 defaults 0 0

You should change the device, mount point and filesystem type appropriately for your system.
Toshiba 5205-S703
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Kenja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what mountpoint should a general storage partition have? Should it appear in /etc/fstab as "/"?
johnmc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use mountpoints that are already in use, just create a directory somewhere and use that. The typical place is in the /mnt directory.

For simplicity I create the mountpoint in a way that reflects the device - /dev/hda4 would mount on /mnt/hda4, etc., but it really doesn't matter what you name your mount point, just use a method that makes sense to you.
Toshiba 5205-S703
Kenja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks you guys everything's kewl now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: