Hard disk already full
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikkakujyu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Hard disk already full Reply with quote

I migrated over to Gentoo from a Mandrake distro; My hard disk is 40 GB, but Mandrake sliced off a 6 GB portion for the root dir, mounting the rest on /home. I used a similar setup when installing Gentoo, except that I shaved off a bit for the boot and swap partitions.

I've had Gentoo for two weeks now, and the root partition is totally filled... any suggestions to cut down on size? I have a ~/Source directory I used for RPMs and such under Mandrake, so could I make Gentoo use that instead?

Also, is there any way to add RPM support to Gentoo? I just spend 32 hours compiling OpenOffice, which of course halted when there was no space left in the /tmp dir.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move your portage distfiles and temp directories to somewhere under /home. All you have to do is change the DISTDIR and PORTAGE_TMPDIR variables in /etc/make.conf.

If you don't want to install openoffice from source, don't use RPMs, use the openoffice-bin ebuild. The Mozilla browsers also have time-saving -bin ebuilds.
polle
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always delete the packages in /usr/portage/distfiles , after a while it gets pretty big, full of packages that you don't need anymore or get again when you use emerge
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, mv the content of /usr/portage/distfiles to ~/Source, then rm /usr/portage/distfiles and symlink it to ~/Source...
jmercer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also clean up a bit of space from doing a "make clean" in your kernel directories. /usr/src/linux and any others you may have played with. Cleaning out /var/tmp/portage might be a big help especially if you've ever killed an emerge 1/2 way through. I just did those two on my office computer here and recovered a little more than 600MB.
Ikkakujyu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleared out /usr/portage/distfiles, but that only got me about 600 megs back. I had a lot more junk installed under Mandrake, and it only took about 3 gigs. I'm guessing the extra under Gentoo is libraries and such.

I have just about everything I need installed already, and I know a lot of libraries are only needed for compilation, so would it be wise to clean some of them out?
_dook_master_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the tips guys. I had 1.5 gigs in /var/tmp/portage 8O :!:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: