SBLive (emu10k1) with ALSA and 2.6.4 sounds metallike
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenrikM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: SBLive (emu10k1) with ALSA and 2.6.4 sounds metallike Reply with quote

Hello!

I've got a strange problem with my soundcard. Whatever I try, it sounds metallike. Voices are quiet whereas the rest seems to be nearly normal. The funny thing about it is that when I try to correct the levels in alsamixer, the sound becomes normal but the levels I keep correcting (named EMU10K1 PCM, PCM, PCM send... etc.) seem to vanish as soon as I stop using the soundcard. This means that I have to adjust the mixer levels as soon as for example xmms switches to the next song. When I try to adjust the levels while the soundcard is not being used, there are no sliders named EMU10K1.

All in all, there are sliders in alsamixer which can be used to correct the sound but their state can not be saved and they are gone as soon as the program using the soundcard stops playing music/sounds/whatever. alsactrl was setup alright so I guess the problem is related to a module or something alike being loaded when playback starts but I simply don't know what exactly is happening....

Code:

cat /proc/pci | grep audio
Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 7).

Code:

ls *.bz2
alsa-driver-1.0.3.tar.bz2  alsa-oss-1.0.3a.tar.bz2   alsa-utils-1.0.3.tar.bz2
alsa-lib-1.0.3b.tar.bz2    alsa-tools-1.0.3.tar.bz2

Thanks for your help!
Henrik
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SBLive (emu10k1) with ALSA and 2.6.4 sounds metallike Reply with quote

I'm curious if you've added /etc/init.d/alsasound to your boot runtime level?

Also, try running `alsamixer` as root, then type in `alsactl store` again as root. Then add alsasound to your boot runtime `rc-update add alsasound boot`. Now finally start up the script `/etc/init.d/alsasound start`

That should fix your problems with the sound settings not saving.
HenrikM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just because of my bad English but I *think* I wrote that it is resetting the mixer even between two songs when using xmms. The rc scripts are setup alright, I read more than just one tutorial on setting up ALSA. My problem is related to the mixer settings of sliders only available during playback being lost from song to song or sound to sound - not when rebooting.

Thanks anyway.
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I read to quickly. Sorry about that. I had never needed to set the "emu10k1" setting in alsamixer for volume. Just the master and pcm. Are you in the group audio?

I don't think it's related to the module, but rather xmms resetting things. Have you tried different output plugins? Say OSS if you're using alsa currently or vice-versa?

Sorry 'bout reading your message to quickly.
HenrikM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my first thought as well but as it is just the same with mpg123 and all useable output plugins for xmms I discarded that idea. The problematic thing is that at least one of these EMU10K1 sliders has to be at ~90% percent for the soundcard to produce sounds but if all of them are up everything sounds :ugly:

I am in the audio group but what makes things worse is that I get the same results being root.

Henrik
taezou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this same problem... nothing except these EMU10k1 sliders affect sound volume, and they are ONLY available if I am playing something with XMMS or BeepMP. If I close them and then open a mixer app, these controls disappear.
jchomarat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid thing maybe, but have you updated Alsa in your kernel source to the version 1.03. Bear in mind that after doing that you have also to update alsa-lib and alsa-utils using "~x86"

Use this link to update alsa, it worked perfectly for me : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=144246&highlight=alsa+patch

Hope this helps

Julien
yemu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem. i'm not sure what I did to get rid of it (i did a lot of things :-) but i suppose it was turning of the switches on the kmix (i use kde) on the switches tab (next to playback and record).
hope this helps
cheers
yemu
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try to unmute the needed sliders (like Master, PCM and Wave) but mute all the other ones. Specifically, mute the SB Live Analog/Digital Output Jack (set it to [Off] with 'm' in alsamixer).
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the settings not loading at startup; I had the same problem when my ALSA stuff was compiled into my kernel as modules. I have the same audio card and it has worked flawlessly for a long while. However, when I ran into that problem I just went ahead and compiled the stuff into the kernel instead and the problem went away.

All that /etc/init.d/alsasound does is restores the settings on start and drops them when it is stopped along with loading the modules. So if you want you can compile them into the kernel and just add alsactl restore to /etc/conf.d/local.start and alsactl store to /etc/conf.d/local.stop. If that does not work then at least you cannot say that you did not try. If all else fails then contact me and I could SSH in(no root privelages neccessary) and see what is wrong with your sound settings. Cheers.
hardcampa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenrikM wrote:
That was my first thought as well but as it is just the same with mpg123 and all useable output plugins for xmms I discarded that idea. The problematic thing is that at least one of these EMU10K1 sliders has to be at ~90% percent for the soundcard to produce sounds but if all of them are up everything sounds :ugly:

I am in the audio group but what makes things worse is that I get the same results being root.

Henrik

This is a quite simple problem which many new to linux (not saying you are, but...) stumble upon: I suggest you try this:
http://gibbage.mine.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: