View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satchmoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Mime Types in Nautilus 2.6 Reply with quote

Im having difficulties with mime types Nautilus 2.6. (I know its a developemental release and all im just curious if anyone else is having these difficulties.)

I have several mpg videos which keep getting incorrectly recognized as riff audio files. Any attempt to directly launch them is met with an error message describing security risks.

Any attempt to launch executable files from nautilus is met with a similar message saying the file is of mime-type null.

I am unable to create "new" mimetypes. I can't associate any applications to .pdb (Palm Database Files). Whenever I do it brings me to the mimetype creation screen (filled with all of the info I typed in before.) Whenever I commit the information "clicking ok". It asks me if I whish to overwrite the old mime type. And no application is ever associated. (Or atleast Nautilus doesnt see any associated under "open with").

I've tried deleting the contents of .gnome/mime-info/ in an attempt to restart it from scratch. But the problem persists.

Does anyone else have this problem ?

Also is there anyway to enable the location bar in spatial nautilus? Its the only thing I miss really.
Ricky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mime-types:
a quick search for "riff" in the forum yields this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=150638&highlight=riff
(These changes were all ready made when I looked in the file, but update-mime-database seemed to do the trick)

location bar:
you can't have the bar in spatial mode (it breaks the spatial abstraction or whatever) although Ctrl+L will bring up a location box to type into. If you don't want to use spatial mode, you can check always_use_browser in /apps/nautilus/preferences in gconf.

which a search would have also found for you :P
Satchmoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had known one could revert back to the old nautilus, just was hoping I could get the old location-bar back in spatial nautilus.

Thanks for the point to the riff-audio trouble, however, im still having difficulties creating any new mime types at all.
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with mime types have been it works great as long as you don't edit or add any. See this bug as this is what I'm experiencing. Perhaps this is what you're experiencing as well?
Satchmoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the exact problem I am having.

From the bugzilla post you linked to, it sounds like the problem has no deffinite fix at the moment. Not really good if gnome 2.60 is considered to be finalized. Quite a mjor bug for gnome if you asked me. I plant on upgrading to gnome 2.60_rc5 tonight. (Im hoping that will fix the bug). However with the bug unresolved on bugzilla im doubtfull.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: