View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limewolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.6 / Xinerama Issue Reply with quote

I've got a dual monitor setup, running off a dual head geforce card. It all works fine using the nvidia twinview options. I've been running Gnome 2.6 RC1 since it was released with little problems. So far so good...

I decided today it was probably worth emerging Gnome 2.6 RC5 (from portage, looks like it's effectively Gnome 2.6). It went fine and the system is running fine except for an apparent change in the way Xinerama works.

If I have a window open on one monitor and maximise it used to maximise to only that monitor; not right across the two monitors (i.e. the whole desktop). I really liked the way that worked, especially the fact that if you tried to drag the maximised window across from one monitor to the other it would switch from that monitor to being maximised on the other.

Now I can't work out what has changed, I have not chnaged anything other than doing the gnome update. Therefore I'm guessing this more to do with metacity rather than X. I can't seem to find any info on this or how I can change things back to the way I like it...

Any help or suggestions would be great...

Cheers,

Limewolf.
LGW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember reading something alike in bugs.gentoo.org a few days ago. AFAIR it had something to do with metacity-2.8;

did that upgrade? Maybe a downgrade of metacity might help...
limewolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metacity did upgrade to 2.8. I'd rather not downgrade if possible. I do strongly suspect it's due to metacity in any case.

Quick search on bugs.gentoo.org for 'metacity' returns only 3 hits, which seems a bit odd to me (none appear to be what I'm after). Searching on bugs.gnome.org doesn't seem to have anything, unless I've just missed something.
conio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you emerge metacity with USE=xinerama?
LGW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant this bug...

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45783

I'm installing gnome 2.6 right now, and I'll tell you what my triple head setup does.
limewolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Thanks. That certainly does look like my problem.
amasidlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also discovered this bug... I can't even find where to configure metacity!
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as bug 45783 goes, not much help there.. Gentoo developer "foser" seems to have fallen back to his childish behaviour of belittling the BreakMyGentoo team whereever possible. Very unprofessional. (the bug is closed as invalid)

I'm trying Metacity 2.8.0 this weekend on a dualheaded Nvidia setup. Using BreakMyGentoo's Metacity 2.7.x ebuild is a good way to get proper xinerama support in the mean time. I have not found any faults in Metacity 2.7.0 in my case, and it handles the windows properly.

Metacity 2.7.x was the development branch of the Gnome 2.5 series.
amasidlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid it annoyed me too much, so I've switched straight back to 2.6.5 which seems to work fine.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak_NL wrote:
Well as far as bug 45783 goes, not much help there.. Gentoo developer "foser" seems to have fallen back to his childish behaviour of belittling the BreakMyGentoo team whereever possible. Very unprofessional. (the bug is closed as invalid)

Excerpting his comments:

Quote:
I don't know BMG ebuilds, i don't want to. version 2.7.0 != 2.8.0 so that sais like totally nothing. If you use BMG : warranty void, it's that easy. No soup for you.

Quote:
I suppose i wasn't clear enough in my initial comment, using BMG ebuilds results in losing our support. It doesn't matter to me if you don't actually use them at this point, they were on your system : No more support. That's why i'm closing this as INVALID now.

If there is a logic behind his paranoid mania, I don't see it -- BMG ebuilds can't "taint" your system unless Portage has a horrible bug.

*sigh*
joem
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:

If there is a logic behind his paranoid mania, I don't see it -- BMG ebuilds can't "taint" your system unless Portage has a horrible bug.
*sigh*

Poorly written ebuilds would have nothing to do with portage being buggy. Ebuilds do what they are told to do..and if you use sloppy ebuilds, it will show. I could throw a rm -rf /usr/lib into any ebuild and it would fuck your shit up pretty bad. That is why there is an official tree with screening processes. No dev is going to give a shit about what you have installed outside of that.

As for foser..he has the same mentality of anybody who has the job of sifting through hundreds of horribly written bug reports.
herbie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this bug has been fixed: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46291

emerge sync and then reemerge metacity-2.8.0
LGW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great. Then I'll do an instant emerge -u metacity, as my build that I did last night still contains the error :)

Hope it's fixed.

About the childish behaviour: yes, 100% ACK. At least he should have taken a LOOK if there IS a problem... the user was right, suggesting that more people will run into the same problem. :)
LGW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked for me. xinerama support is back :)
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dst wrote:
Poorly written ebuilds would have nothing to do with portage being buggy. Ebuilds do what they are told to do..and if you use sloppy ebuilds, it will show. I could throw a rm -rf /usr/lib into any ebuild and it would fuck your shit up pretty bad. That is why there is an official tree with screening processes. No dev is going to give a shit about what you have installed outside of that.

As for foser..he has the same mentality of anybody who has the job of sifting through hundreds of horribly written bug reports.

That's awfully charitable. I could understand if you have BMG deps to official packages or vice versa, but if you simply used BMG ebuilds in the past? What about your own ebuilds?
Bluepixel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't had the USE="xinerama" flag set when I compiled gnome, but I did when I compiled metacity again. Do I have to recompile other packages too so that the gnome fully supports it?

I'm still having the problem that the login screen is split over the two screens, but I can live with that. Is anybody else having that problem?
herbie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluepixel wrote:
I didn't had the USE="xinerama" flag set when I compiled gnome, but I did when I compiled metacity again. Do I have to recompile other packages too so that the gnome fully supports it?

I'm still having the problem that the login screen is split over the two screens, but I can live with that. Is anybody else having that problem?

Then reemerge gdm with USE="xinerama". gdm makes use of that USE variable too and so too may certain other packages. If in doubt then
Code:
emerge -pv <package>
will list the USE variables that a package respects.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: