No network after reboot.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: No network after reboot. Reply with quote

I'm using a univeristy resnet connection where I have to specify my TCP/IP settings.

I've finished doing my Stage1 install, and now when I boot into my gentoo I don't have any internet access. When I boot off the LiveCD again, it works again. All I need to do is the:
Code:
ifconfig $IFACE $IPNUM broadcast $BCAST netmask $NMASK
route add -net default gw $GTWAY netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1 $IFACE

lines (with appropriate values) and then edit my resolv.conf so that it had my two DNS servers. Bam, I can ping things just fine.

Now when I'm in my gentoo environment, I set up my /etc/conf.d/net script to put all of these settings in the same was as I did in my ifconfig, double check that the resolv.conf is the same, and try to ping, and it just kinda hangs for a good 30 seconds, before saying it can't resolve it. If I give a 'route' command, it just hangs for a really long time too (whereas when I called that in my LiveCD environment, I got the route that I added).

I've tried using the same commands as I did in my LiveCD environment (the ifconfig and route) to get it running, but they don't do anything. The ifconfig settings are already right, and when I call the route command it says the file already exists.
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the route command for a while until it spit out the table. It's listing my gateway wrong, it should be ending in 254, but it's showing it as ending in 0. I double checked my /etc/conf.d/net file, and in there it's set as 254, so I don't know what's up.

Could I have compliled my kernel wrong and forgotten some needed bit of stuff for this to work well/fast?
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, I found that ping only hangs when I try to ping a domain name, but when I try to ping an IP (such as my gateway) it goes at a reasonable pace (not connecting, but at least it's not hanging!).
cathalob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the contents of /etc/resolv.conf for the presence of DNS server listings??
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cathalob: Thanks for the reply. Yes I have, and it's contents are right, and exactly the same when I boot from the LiveCD as when I'm in my Gentoo environment.
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going absolutely insane here.... I just can't figure this out.

I had a working gentoo install on this EXACT computer about 6 months ago, I didn't have the time to learn and set it up because of school, so I uninstalled and now I'm back. I know this CAN work. I remember having a fuckload of problems last time, but that was caused by my network cards switching when I rebooted (eth0 turned into eth1 and vice-versa). I check that out this time and it didn't help.
active
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have an internal dns (which resolves internal names) obviuosly you aren't able to ping lan hosts by name. To solve this problem just edit /etc/hosts to add lan hostnames and ip's.
Note: this is valid for internal settings.... please specify if your problem appears also with Internet hostnames.
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active: Thanks for the reply, yeah I'm having problems with internet too. I know I can use the hosts file for internal stuff, but the external stuff won't work :(.
active
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhm...this sound like you didn't started the net. When you added your settings to /etc/conf.d/net, did you start/restart eth0 by
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

:?:

Otherwise try to use tcpdump to see where your packets are going.

bye
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: