View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: mozilla and evolution Reply with quote

hi,

i did not find any possibility in mozilla to configure a different mail-client than the one of mozilla to be the standard mail client to use.

is it possible to tell mozilla to fire up an evolution mail composer window when i click on a mailto-link?

thanks
baf
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the most recent versions of Mozilla, you can edit hidden config options inside the browser. Here are some steps to change the external mailer:

1. Type about:config into the location bar
2. Look for network.protocol-handler.external.mailto. If it doesn't exist, right click, then select new, boolean, and set its value to true
3. Look for network.protocol-handler.app.mailto. If it doesn't exist, right click, then select new, string, and set its value to the executable for evolution or to a wrapper script that will call evolution with the right command strings

I don't know what command strings to call evolution with, but you should be able to find out through the command line help.
baf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diastelo,

thanks a lot. i'll give this a try.

baf :P
baf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again,

i tried to find out which command line command shoots up the mail composer window of evolution. but i didn't find anything.

does anybody have any suggestions???

thanks a lot
baf
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're trying to switch back? Easiest way to do that is to find the attribute you changed in about:config, right click, select "reset", and it should reset back to the default.
baf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi diastelo,

i am not trying to switch back. at the moment the situation is that when i click a mailto: link in the mozilla browser it starts the mozilla mailprogram. but i am using the evolution mail client and want to make mozilla shoot up the composer-window of evolution when i click a mailto: link.

the problem is however that i was unable to find out which command to put into network.protocol-handler.app.mailto to not just start evolution but get a new window to write an e-mail. the command line help of evolution didn't really help.

thanks for your help
baf
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Try evolution mailto:%A?Subject=%S&Cc=%C&body=%B for the external mailto link. If you change your desktop environment as described below, make sure to leave the "external mailto" in Mozilla to true.

Optionally, what desktop environment are you running? If you are running Gnome (KDE will probably do this as well), you should be able to set the URL handler for mailto: style links. This may be a more elegant solution, since it would allow you to use Evolution for other browsers or applications as well.

For example, I open up the Gnome control panel (I am still using 2.4), open up the Advanced folder, and choose "File types and programs". The bottom category on my machine is "Internet". I select that category, select "Add Service", and a dialog box will appear. The description can be anything you like, but you should enter "mailto" for protocol and "evolution %s" for the program. Hit OK, and everything should be good to go. I didn't even have to restart Mozilla.

I choose to run Sylpheed, so I entered "sylpheed --compose %s" for my program of choice. Hope this helps!
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed that by installing the MozEx plugin for Mozilla. Once installed, there is a Mailer command field, just put this in it: evolution --no-splash mailto:%A?Subject=%S&Cc=%C&body=%B
baf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: thanx Reply with quote

hello tecknojunky and diastello,

thank you very much for your help. finally i got it working to my liking with the MozEx package from mozillas homepage!!!

cheers
boris
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tip!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: