Downloads need torrent
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougransom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Downloads need torrent Reply with quote

it would be very nice if the live cds were primarily distributed through bittorrent instead of ftp mirrors. it takes too long to get even a stage tarball.
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends where your location is and what kind of internet connection you use. I am pretty comfortable with ftp mirrors, I usually use <ftp.ucsb.edu>, and it is fast.
goom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problems, either. FTP Mirrors work really fast for me and my downloads are always at my connection's limit.
Just take a look at available mirros, maybe there's one in your country =)
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would download stuff off BT be any faster than off ftp mirrors?
I've never hit my download cap off BT, but I regularly hit my cap when I select the proper mirrors.
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love ftp.ibiblio.org. Best mirror out there for Linux (e.g. it's in the USA (close by) and is most always fast (gives me about 350KB/sec (cap (too many ')''s (but I terminated them all))) evert time)).
someguy42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get great speed out of ftp.sunsite.utk.edu, but then again, that's partly because the server's at UT Knoxville, in Knoxville, TN, and I'm less than 3 hours away in Nashville.
870Fragmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try
Code:
mirrorselect -a
that will pick the fastest mirror for you automatically. I can cap my DSL using this to find a good mirror.
ColeSlaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first converted to Gentoo I downloaded the CDs using a program called getright. It had mirror searching capabilites and could split the file and download sections simultaniously from different mirrors. This worked great for me and got me a CD in no time at all. Is there a program like this you could possibly use on Linux? I used to use Getright to download all my large files.

I put the link so you can maybe tell what features I'm talking about...
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how fast is your internet connection, when i had a 1meg line it would mak out on downloads, i think i remeber somthing about portage suporting multiple emerges or more likely emerge -f at once being on the roadmap. oofice is probably the biggest single file at 190 odd megs and even if it does take an hour to get the compile will most likly be 12 so its not worth bitching about
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage may not support bittorrent, but it does support prozilla. It has automatic mirror search and segmented downloading ala download-accelerator and getright.
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having torrents for the ISOs would probably remove some of the strain off of the FTP servers which would be nice, but my school is a mirror for Gentoo, so I don't mind either way. Nice 100Mbit connection to it is fine by me :)
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaLCy0n wrote:
Having torrents for the ISOs would probably remove some of the strain off of the FTP servers which would be nice, but my school is a mirror for Gentoo, so I don't mind either way. Nice 100Mbit connection to it is fine by me :)

Not everybody is as fortunate as you are, halcyon ;)
Dr Gonzo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not wrong, it's not that hard to create torrents. You want it out there, so do it. :)

George W. Bush
matt2kjones
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been providing torrents for gentoo for about 2 months now

and we usually get gentoo a few hours after release.

We have talked to Kurt Lieber a few months back over email abount possibly getting our bt links put on the mirror page. He told us to email him in a week as he was going away.... we did that but had no reply

We contacted Kurt Lieber recently in IRC, and he now tells us that he is uninterested in the torrents we provide because they will be providing their own.

So, we arn't listed.... which is a shame as when 2004.0 was having trouble getting onto many of the mirrors, we had about 150 users downloading on EACH file, at any one time.

Anyway, just incase the Torrent links for future gentoo releases arn't added, you can always find them here: http://www.tlm-project.org/torrents/gentoo (bookmark that if your interested)

or just visit the site: http://www.tlm-project.org

Matt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2kjones wrote:
We contacted Kurt Lieber recently in IRC, and he now tells us that he is uninterested in the torrents we provide because they will be providing their own.

So, we arn't listed.... which is a shame as when 2004.0 was having trouble getting onto many of the mirrors, we had about 150 users downloading on EACH file, at any one time.

I'm sorry our plans don't match with your plans. As I told you on IRC, I wish you the best of luck with your project. In the mean time, we're working on officially supporting torrents as part of our next release.

--kurt
anijap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

I'm sorry our plans don't match with your plans. As I told you on IRC, I wish you the best of luck with your project. In the mean time, we're working on officially supporting torrents as part of our next release.

--kurt

Yes!
That'd be soo cool, I can't wait till you guys get the official torrents up and running :P
G-Style
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or do I find torrents to download at extreme slow speeds?
anijap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just you :wink:

Also, besides the type of file you are trying to download, the number of seeders, etc, the client also plays a pretty important role.

For me azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) gets by far the fastest speed (270kbps - the max I can get out of my poor dsl line).

But it mostly depends on how many people are sharing the file, this shouldn't be a problem with gentoo :lol:
Deebster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With BitTorrent, the major thing that affects download speed is if you are firewalled - if people can't connect to you, then you tend to get very poor rates.

And for mirrors, almost everyone in the UK should have mirror.ac.uk as their first mirror - that ja.net connection is really something.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deebster wrote:
And for mirrors, almost everyone in the UK should have mirror.ac.uk as their first mirror - that ja.net connection is really something.

At least until they get shut down

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Downloads need torrent Reply with quote

dougransom wrote:
it would be very nice if the live cds were primarily distributed through bittorrent instead of ftp mirrors. it takes too long to get even a stage tarball.

Just for the record, we will not be using torrents as our primary distribution method any time in the near future. Our mirroring system is quite good, actually -- if you're getting slow speeds with one mirror, I suggest you try alternates until you find one that works better for you.

At this point, the only thing that we plan to distribute via torrents are the liveCDs and the package CDs. We may add stages at a later date, but we will definitely not be adding distfiles any time soon.

--kurt
Deebster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Deebster wrote:

At least until they get shut down

--kurt

I hadn't heard that news. Bad news, especially when you look at the plans they had for the future.

However, JISC are funding a new mirror service (opening 1st August), so it's not too bad. Eduserv is hosting the new one, so it's bound to also be on ja.net.

"It is expected that the current portfolio of technical resources will continue to be mirrored" - sounds like Gentoo will still be there. I wonder if they also get the doman name...? From "From an end user perspective, the most significant change to the service will be that it will only offer freely available technical software resources." I assume they will, and that the existing urls will continue to work.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Downloads need torrent Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
dougransom wrote:

Just for the record, we will not be using torrents as our primary distribution method any time in the near future. Our mirroring system is quite good, actually -- if you're getting slow speeds with one mirror, I suggest you try alternates until you find one that works better for you.

At this point, the only thing that we plan to distribute via torrents are the liveCDs and the package CDs. We may add stages at a later date, but we will definitely not be adding distfiles any time soon.

--kurt

Kurt,

Would making torrents as an option be feasible any time in the near future for distfiles? I'm sure this must be possible - if you put the torrent seed in the portage tree for each distfile, then tell portage to use that in order to download it - except, of course, where the license says that you have to download it from real.com or similar - then wouldn't it be easily possible to take a massive, massive strain off the FTP servers? Obviously rsync would be even more strained still as there'd be 100,000 extra files or so for all the seed files (note: I plucked that number out of thin air, I'm almost certainly miles out) but there'd be little or no strain on FTP . And a fallback mechanism shouldn't be too hard to do, either, I shouldn't think.

A good idea, or no? Will I have to write a hacky wrapper script to emerge in order to implement this, or would a patch submission to portage get anywhere?

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: