Maintanence on shutdown??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Maintanence on shutdown?? Reply with quote

I was wondering about this matanence thing on shutdown and if anyone knows anything about it????

When I shutdown or reboot my machine I get this message that I need to either hit Ctrl+D or type in root passwd to to maintenance?

Upon typing in my passwd I check mount and /dev/hdb4 is still mounted to /

What is this about and how can Iresolve it?
2.6Gig AMD Athlon XP - Chaintech 7njs - 512Mg kingston HyperX - 80Gig with Windows 40 Gig with Gentoo - GeForce4 - Toshiba DVD ROM & Plextor CDRW - Turbo Cool 350 - 7 Case fans running Gentoo Linux 2.6.4-rc1-mm1
BWoso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your root partition is mounted twice, refer to this post, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=145901&highlight= , and see if that helps, if not just tell me that I was wrong :)

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.
-Mark Twain-
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will tell you that you weren't wrong!! Get ya, huh, did I?? LOL

Anyhow, you were right. But being that it's not harmful from what I think I read I'm going to not mess with it. I don't want to break anything else being I somehow broke my windows partition upon installation of Gentoo.
BWoso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to fix it I can help some more, I don't know if it is harmful but it could be and I'm sure it is very annoying. But if you just want to leave it there that's cool too. If you want to fix it: are you using lilo or grub, and what kernel are you using?

-Mark Twain-
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Grub, here is some stats on my machine if I haven't posted them yet.
Code:
/dev/hdb1               /boot           reiserfs        noauto,noatime,notail   1 1
/dev/hdb2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/hdb3               /home           reiserfs        noatime                 0 0
/dev/hdb4               /               reiserfs        noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda2               /mnt/Storage    vfat            noatime,users                   0 0
/dev/hda3               /mnt/temp       vfat            noatime,users                   0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro,users         0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1      /mnt/cdrom1     iso9600         noauto,ro,users         0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto,users                    0 0
Code:
default 0
timeout 60
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
title=Gentoo Linux
 root (hd1,0)
 kernel (hd1,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.4-rc2-mm1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hdb4

initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.4-rc2-mm1

title=Windows 2000
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
Code:
[quote]bash-2.05b# ls /boot
boot  grub  initrd-2.6.4-rc2-mm1  kernel-2.6.4-rc2-mm1  tmp
bash-2.05b#
[/quote]

2.6Gig AMD Athlon XP - Chaintech 7njs - 512Mg kingston HyperX - 80Gig with Windows 40 Gig with Gentoo - GeForce4 - Toshiba DVD ROM & Plextor CDRW - Turbo Cool 350 - 7 Case fans running Gentoo Linux 2.6.4-rc1-mm1
BWoso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, try this. In grub remove either the first or second like that reads title = Gentoo Linux so that there is only one of them. Then do this
Code:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make && make modules modules_install
# mount /boot
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/test-kernel-2.6.4-rc2-mm1

Then add another option to your grub. Just copy the first gentoo one and change title to test gentoo or something, and kernel-2.6.4-rc2-mm1 to test-kernel-2.6.4-rc2-mm1. Then reboot and boot to the test gentoo and see if that worked.

BTW this is only correct if you are using x86, if you are using something else I have to change some stuff.

-Mark Twain-
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visseroth,
can you post output of this:
Code:
cat /proc/mounts

using kernel that asks you to hit Ctrl+D at shutdown.

I am curious to see if it shows that /tmp/.initrd or /tmp/.initrd/dev is mounted. I have the same problem and my investigation shows that it is not double mount of root but problem with initrd, which refuses to unmount for some reason, causing prompt for Ctrl+D or root password.
Jefklak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that CTRL+D thing too...
cat /proc/mounts gives this:

Code:
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/windows vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0

Nothing special...
Maybe its because I usually forget to unmount my windows again hen shutting down?
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefklak,
your problem seems to be different that mine. Does "mount" shows / to be mounted twice? If it does, try commenting out line " mount -f /" in /etc/init.d/checkroot and see if it helps. Also, try unmounting the windows partion before to see if it helps to get a rid of the CTRL-D prompt.
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried commentting out "mount -f /" and it did nothing.

oh and give me tell late tomarrow to try that other kernel. Kind of tied up to do much more then answer messages.
Here is that "cat" you asked for
Code:
bash-2.05b# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root /tmp/.initrd ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hdb4 / reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/hdb3 /home reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda3 /mnt/temp vfat rw,noatime,nodiratime,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0033,dmask=0033,codepage=cp437 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/Storage vfat rw,noatime,nodiratime,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0033,dmask=0033,codepage=cp437 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 ro 0 0
bash-2.05b#

mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to suffer from the same problem as me - /tmp/.initrd cannot be unmounted. Normally this should be unmounted during boot, but for some reason some processes still use initrd and thus it refuses to be unmounted. I reported this as a bug # 44601. I believe that this, not the double mount causes problems at shutdown.

I do not know commenting out "mount -f /" did not help, it worked for me a ffew other people. Check that y9ou do not have Automatic mount of devfs enabled in kernel.
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me, what is a good way to check the kernel without recompiling it?

Also I may have it enabled, cause if I remember right I enabled all automatic mounting options.
Jefklak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhodak wrote:
Also, try unmounting the windows partion before to see if it helps to get a rid of the CTRL-D prompt.

I tried that right after I posted my reply here. That worked :)
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visseroth wrote:
tell me, what is a good way to check the kernel without recompiling it?

Also I may have it enabled, cause if I remember right I enabled all automatic mounting options.

Look at /usr/src/linux/.config (if /usr/src/linux/ points to kernel sources you are using right now) and search for DEVFS. I am using 2.4 kernel, in my case the entry is "CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT", it may be somewhat different for 2.6 kernel. Or go to the sources directory and run "make menuconfig" and look under filesystem whether automatic mounting on boot is enabled or not.
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefklak wrote:
mhodak wrote:
Also, try unmounting the windows partion before to see if it helps to get a rid of the CTRL-D prompt.

I tried that right after I posted my reply here. That worked :)

This is good, but normally, all mounted partitions should be unmounted automatically before reboot, but that somehow does not work in your case. It strange that you can unmount it by hand, but the shutdown script apparently has problems unmounting it.
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you guys may want to try is check your /etc/fstab and make sure the mount points point to their corresponding partitions. I had an experience similar to what you guys have described. What happened to me was that somehow/somewhere during an emerge -U world my /etc/fstab was replaced by something like this:
Code:

/dev/BOOT               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 1
/dev/ROOT               /               xfs             noatime         0 0
/dev/SWAP               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro       0 0

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but this was my problem, and it may have been yours too.
Hope this helps.
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well
1. my windows partition is not mounted and when I do type in my root password to get into the mainenence screen and I check the mounts only the /root directory is mounted and mounted as a read only partition that can not be unmounted.

2. Fstab is no the problem, I check it quit a bit due to small changes that i make for permissions.

But thanks guys. I will try the kernel recompile, but not right now. I've been quite busy and am now quite tired.
CMI
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to toss in a "me too" thing here. Just moved to 2.6.4 a couple days ago and got problems from above. Namely:
Code:
[washu:/usr/src/linux] chris$ cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0

No duplicates in fstab, no duplicates show when I use "mount".
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
it would be helpful if you posted here the error message preceeding the prompt for maintenance root password. Many problems can leave to the prompt so the error message (if any) is important.

In my case I see:
Code:

Unmonting filesystems
Remounting remaining filesystems read only   [!!]

(the exclamation marks are red).

It should mean that something (/tmp/.initrd) cannot be properly unmounted.
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as for the error message some goes here, then after the remounting read only it asked for root password for maintenence or press CTRL+D for normal startup
mu-sly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Could be USB? Reply with quote

I've had similar problems - I think it could possibly be something to do with USB?

This only started happening after I changed from using my mouse through USB back to PS/2, in order to use a KVM switch I've just bought. I'm running a 2.6 kernel and have never had any problems until now.

Basically, when I shut down, it gets as far as "remounting remaining partitions read-only" and then asks for maintenance.

Code:

cat /proc/mounts

...at this point gives...

Code:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0
proc /initrd/proc proc ro 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 ro,noatime 0 0
none /proc proc ro 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0

With the only thing remaining that I can unmount (I'm pretty sure I tested them all - bugger, can't test again without shutting down again!) being /proc/bus/usb

I guess I ought to try manually unmounting that and then shutting down - see if it makes any difference.

Anyway, my root partition definitely isn't mounted twice:

Code:

root@slynux dave # mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /initrd/proc type proc (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=0620)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /mnt/scsi/1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,umask=0)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 on /mnt/scsi/2 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,umask=0)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1 on /mnt/scsi/3 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,umask=0)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part5 on /mnt/scsi/4 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,umask=0)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part1 on /mnt/scsi/5 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,umask=0)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

... and my fstab has been working perfectly for a long time now, and hasn't been changed at all...

Code:

/dev/hda2               /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/hda1               /               ext3            noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda3               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/dvdrom             /mnt/dvdrom     iso9660         noauto,ro,user          0 0
/dev/cdrw               /mnt/cdrw       iso9660         noauto,rw,user          0 0
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1         /mnt/scsi/1     vfat    user,rw,exec,uid=1000,umask=0 0 0       0 0
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5         /mnt/scsi/2     vfat    user,rw,exec,uid=1000,umask=0 0 0       0 0
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1         /mnt/scsi/3     vfat    user,rw,exec,uid=1000,umask=0 0 0       0 0
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part5         /mnt/scsi/4     vfat    user,rw,exec,uid=1000,umask=0 0 0       0 0
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/part1         /mnt/scsi/5     vfat    user,rw,exec,uid=1000,umask=0 0 0       0 0
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1         /mnt/camera     vfat    noauto,user,rw,uid=1000,umask=0 0 0     0 0

none                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

none                    /dev/pts        devpts          gid=5,mode=0620         0 0

Now I'm not using the USB mouse, I've commented out a couple of lines in my modules.autoload.d:

Code:

root@slynux dave # cat /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
ipt_MASQUERADE
8139too
sym53c8xx
usbcore
usb-storage
#ohci_hcd
vfat
#hid
agpgart
fglrx
videodev
quickcam

Not sure how much of that is relevant, but that's the stuff I've changed recently, just before this started happening. I just have a hunch it's something to do with /proc/bus/usb ...?

I'm gonna unmount that manually and then try a shutdown... brb.
mu-sly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Hmm... that made no difference. Reply with quote

Nope, that made no difference.

I did notice this, which seems a bit weird:

Code:

none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

Not sure if I'm getting confused now and that's something totally unrelated, but does that appear to be mounted twice??

I can do this...

Code:

root@slynux dave # umount /proc/bus/usb
umount: /proc/bus/usb: not mounted

... twice, only getting an error the third time I try and do it. So perhaps /proc/bus/usb is being mounted twice at boot?? I don't know if that's right or not!?

Anyway, this time after having unmounted /proc/bus/usb manually (twice) and shutting down - still getting the maintenance error - I get this from cat /proc/mounts:

Code:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0
proc /initrd/proc proc ro 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 ro,noatime 0 0
none /proc proc ro 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0

Which looks OK to me - the only difference from before is that the USB stuff is unmounted because I'd already done it manually.

So, this is highly puzzling and I don't know what to make of it. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm - it's just that it's bugging me because I don't know why it's happening!

Anybody got any ideas?
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see this error in kernel 2.6.2 and 2.6.4 (2.6.4 vanilla 2.6.2 gentoo sources). This is not present in kernel 2.6.3-gentoo, the reasion why it isn't...i'm not sure why. And there was nothing wrong whit my hard drives.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: