bootstrap-2.6.sh fails on crypt, can't emerge glibc [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senseiwa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: bootstrap-2.6.sh fails on crypt, can't emerge glibc [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm trying to install gentoo on my laptop, starting directly from kernel 2.6 but I cannot make the bootstrap-2.6.sh script finish: it fails ALWAYS.

I use the stage1-x86-20040218 and always when running bootstrap-2.6.sh it downloads the kernel 2.4.22 (why?? anyway, it keeps going on) and then:

ERROR: sys-apps/baselayout-1.8.6.13-r1 failed.
[...]

It fails on the famous `crypt' error.

So I tried to emerge glibc but it fails telling me it needs perl.

Then emerging perl, it configures autoconf and says I NEED PERL.

Please help me! I'm pretty satisfied with gentoo on my desktop, but now...

Last edited by senseiwa on Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tell me, what has that got to do with the title of your post?

I try and tell people as much as I can in my limited knowledge and time and idiots like you give the forum bad name and explains why newbies are treated with less respect.

Put a proper title on your post. :evil:
adrenalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i am not sure about a solution for your problem, i do suggest that you change the topic for your thread or ask a moderator to do so. its a little bit misleading ;)

pickledonion, i dont see a reason to get angry. at least not yet.
senseiwa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

Man, I'm using this sucking links2 and I don't like to be pointed as an idiot, since I know what I'm doing.

Since my problem does not involve only baselayout, or perl only or a single package, I said I have always errors on every command I give.

If you have the necessary knowledge about portage, then tell just what it's needed, a hint. It you don't know anything, don't bother with this stupid posts.
adrenalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you are not aware that your topic reads ' Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.' if you think that this lead the experts for your problem here - good luck
senseiwa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

adrenalin wrote:
i think you are not aware that your topic reads ' Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.' if you think that this lead the experts for your problem here - good luck

As I told, I'm using links on the system I'm installing on this release of gentoo.

I will have another system tomorrow. Next time, tell just the fact in its hole instance, not just ``you're an idiot''. I can't see my subject in links. I'll post a new topic with a nother browser.
adrenalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact that you use links does not neccessary mean that you cant read your topic. it displays fine in my links. and no, you didnt tell that you use links before my first post either. and while it may not be necessary to open another thread when you use another browser - good luck in finding help again. but maybe you should lower your tone the next time - people might just ignore you otherwise.
senseiwa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: bootstrap-2.6.sh fails on crypt, and can't emerge glibc Reply with quote

The fact is that with links, I wrote the correct subject but I saw the strange ``tips''. I thought it was just a hint of links telling me it can't display correctly the text. I trust people and respond with a high tone *only* when I'm attacked without any reason. I wasn't told the reason in first place.
Anyway, I leave it behind, and hope you'll do so.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

The most strange thing is that I use gentoo at home, at work I made a 8 machines cluster with gentoo, my lab for the students. Never encountered *one* problem.

I'm trying to have a 2.6 machine, it's a laptop (t41, pentium M, 1.5 gb ddr), classified as pentium 4 by intel, recommended to use C(XX)FLAGS with -march/cpu=pentium3 as it's said to be a complete disaster with pentium4 on pentium 4 cpus... again, the cluster is made of 8 ibm intellistation m pro, all pentium 4 and never had problems (except with a buggy svgalib and kdegraphics, then all was fixed).

Another strange thing is that emerging glibc as told in a post here, it needs perl, so ``emerge perl'' says it needs perl for autoconf... some kind of recursion... a complete deadlock, no way of fixing it...
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: bootstrap-2.6.sh fails on crypt, and can't emerge glibc Reply with quote

senseiwa wrote:
Hi.

I'm trying to install gentoo on my laptop, starting directly from kernel 2.6 but I cannot make the bootstrap-2.6.sh script finish: it fails ALWAYS.

I use the stage1-x86-20040218 and always when running bootstrap-2.6.sh it downloads the kernel 2.4.22 (why?? anyway, it keeps going on) and then:

ERROR: sys-apps/baselayout-1.8.6.13-r1 failed.
[...]

It fails on the famous `crypt' error.

So I tried to emerge glibc but it fails telling me it needs perl.

Then emerging perl, it configures autoconf and says I NEED PERL.

Please help me! I'm pretty satisfied with gentoo on my desktop, but now...

the reason it is downloading the kernel 2.4.22 is to emerge
the linux headers, since the 2.6.x linux headers are "-*"
if you want these (2.6.x) linux headers, before bootstrapping
add the following to your /etc/portage/package.keywords
file (if the file or dir or both are not there just create them)
Code:

=sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.4

then do
Code:

/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap-2.6.sh

the downside of going with the 2.6.x headers, it that you
may need to go ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", as there may be
many packages which may fail to emerge with the 2.6.x kernel
headers.
should you choose to go "~arch" you might as well add
"nptl" to your use flags.
hth
happy gentooing and the best of luck with your fresh install
aquadog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone successfully done this from stage1? I unmasked 2.6.4 headers and added nptl to my USE flags and glibc fails everytime with a "nested too deply" error on some .h file. Unfortunately i forgot to save the exact error message. Can't find anything on that error either.
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquadog wrote:
has anyone successfully done this from stage1? I unmasked 2.6.4 headers and added nptl to my USE flags and glibc fails everytime with a "nested too deply" error on some .h file. Unfortunately i forgot to save the exact error message. Can't find anything on that error either.

i've done it with the linux-headers-2.6.3-r1, but, i also went
"~86" then bootstraped
hth
senseiwa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A workaround, and I don't know why it works.

Use ``nptl'' in USE flags, even if you don't need the native posix thread library.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: