View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: printing laser postscript canon Reply with quote

hi
i'm trying to set up my archaic canonlbp8IIIT printer. I thought that it might be fairly easy to set up as it's a laser and should understand postscript. Anyway, I've got to the stage where I can cat files to /dev/lp0 and it prints them out, albeit with some 'form feed' persuasion. I found a ppd file on the adobe website specifically for my model of printer and unzipped it. Then i edited out all of the ^M's that had appeared, presumably because it was unzipped with a unixy unzip. Then I tried to install the printer using
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p printer -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m myppd.ppd

like it says in the cups help stuff but when I try to print a test page all I get pages and pages which appear to be the source code for the test page.
Any ideas anyone? I've been trying to set this up for days now :(
rjm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: It works! woo hoo! Reply with quote

After reading this page www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic/USAGE I discovered that you need to work out the printer ID by typing foomatic-configure -O|less and watching out for the printer name in the code which follows. Three nights sat up reading FAQs has finally paid off!

Now I have to get it to work with Abiword :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: