High res gimping
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmouritsendk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: High res gimping Reply with quote

My cousin dropped by for a visit last night, and he brought his newly acquired Canon EOS-1DS camera (he's a professional photographer). Needless to say I had to try and fire up the new gimp, to see how it handled pictures at insanely high resolutions. And also give him a chance to play a bit with the gimp.

The good:
Good set of features, good RGB color rendering, great filters collection and he also really like the level of customize-ability of everything.

The weird:
Some of the filters seemed to have problems at really high resolution, for example sparkle, it didn't sparkle much when using it on a 4064 x 2704 picture.

The show stopper:
No CMYK support

After we where done gimpin', he wanted to see how Linux handled big CMYK PDF files. So we connected his usb2 hdd and grabbed a catalog he just finished doing for a traveling agency. With the humble size of seven-hundred-something megabytes.

Gnomes PDF viewer froze/crashed instantly the minute we tried to zoom, change page or just about anything. So we gave ggv a run and came to these conclusions:

The good:
The redraw speed after a page was loaded was apparently impressive.

The bad:
The loading speed when changing pages where mighty mighty long, a good deal longer than he used to on his(slower 2.4/533, mine is a 2.4/800) windows machine. I figure this must be due to ggv is doing pdf to postscript conversion.

The awful:
the colors where off by a bit, enough for it to be unusable for him.

We didn't try Acrobat Reader for Linux, but both expected that it would feature what needs from a PDF viewer. But anyways, gnome's PDF viewer needs some work. He asked if I though that the people developing gnomes PDF reader could be interested in some 700MB+ professional quality CMYK PDFs containing a huge amount of high res graphics, since he would be willing to supply them with some. I could imagine that the gnome pdf people have access to stuff like this already, but i could be wrong(What do you guys think? should he mail them?)

All in all, he was very impressed with Linux as a desktop. He really liked nautiluses Image collection view and he was very impressed with the general speed of the system. Especially burning a CD and being able to continue working in other apps without feeling a hit from the burning impressed.

In the end of the day, he really wanted to move to linux. But he still feels he needs to run Photoshop and InDesign, since no real alternative presently are available. Since I never tried using wine, I couldn't really answer his question on how big the performance hit would be. So, I'm turning to you guys. Have any of you used Photoshop and Indesign with wine and how do they run compared with a native win32 system?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmouritsendk,

You say the coulurs were off. Did you have your monitor set to the correct colour temperature?
If thats wrong, photos look gastly. If you set it right for photos, most other things look gastly (to me anyway).

WINE - You ned to try it. The performace hit if your choosen apps work at all, will be very small to negative (some Windows apps are faster on Linux+WINE than on Windows).

Wine Is Not an Emulator. It lets the applications x86 code run nativly on the processor but picks up the Windows API calls, does whatever needs doing in Linux and returns any results to the app, just as windows would do. Not all API calls are implemented yet.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
dmouritsendk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
dmouritsendk,

You say the coulurs were off. Did you have your monitor set to the correct colour temperature?
If thats wrong, photos look gastly. If you set it right for photos, most other things look gastly (to me anyway).

ROFL.. thats it! It turns out I run at 9300K normally(im in a very light room, so I just cranked it up when i got my monitor and havent really fiddled with it since). I didn't think about that at all, my cousin should have :D

NeddySeagoon wrote:

WINE - You ned to try it. The performace hit if your choosen apps work at all, will be very small to negative (some Windows apps are faster on Linux+WINE than on Windows).

Wine Is Not an Emulator. It lets the applications x86 code run nativly on the processor but picks up the Windows API calls, does whatever needs doing in Linux and returns any results to the app, just as windows would do. Not all API calls are implemented yet.

I guess the best way to go then would be to install gentoo and wine on his workstation and let him test it out in a dualboot setup before converting 100%.

Thanks alot for the feedback 8)
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that GIMP, at least 2.0, has CMYK support through plug-ins? At least that is what I read somewhere... ;)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AgenT,

GIMP 2.0 is in the unstable feed now too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
AgenT,

GIMP 2.0 is in the unstable feed now too.

What do you mean? GIMP 2.0 works fine as is. So what if it is marked unstable? That just means it has not been tested for an extended period of time. It's not masked, if that is what you mean.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AgenT,

Yes that's right.

I was getting my terminology mixed up with Familiar, which is linux for handhelds. Sorry about the confusion.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used it (In fact I remembered it as FilmGimp) but have a look at Cinepaint.

CMYK is in the pipeline by the looks of things, but it is designed to handle HUGE image files both in terms of resolution and colour depth.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: