Stop replying to Spam posts!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Stop replying to Spam posts! Reply with quote

This is really starting to annoy me.

We all know spam happens, and we know it is annoying, and we know how to deal with it.

But every time a stupid spammer posts something we end up with a thread of at least five people posting how evil spammers are and how cool they in turn are for having it reported to the mods.
Like the spammer will actually read the replies. Sorry to burst your bubble: No they don't! Know who reads those posts? Your fellow Gentoo Forum users. And if they're like you and me, they're not interested.

Don't you people realize you are actually bumping the thread to the top of the New Posts screen everytime you do that? That you are actually helping the spammer getting more people to read his message?

So please please pretty please with 10 lbs of sugar on it, if you see a spam post, do the reasonable:

If it has not been replied to, report it and post that you did so.
If however it HAS been replied to, just simply close that page and leave the thread die and rot as it deserves to.
You'll get no points for originality for hating Spam.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted it elsewhere: I'm not sure which is worse... spammers, or those responding to their threads.
abzs2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of spam this takes the cake. :lol:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Spam on this forum Reply with quote

There seems to be alot of spamming going on from peaople signing up and then just spamming, mainly to do with so called "free" stuff

I don't know if it is possible with this board but would it be worth implementing a:

If some1 new signs up an autherisation email is sent to their email address BUT 24hours later, thus if someone really want in they would have to wait a bit.

Also limit the posting to one every 30min for people with posts under say 20posts, that way if someone wants to spam, it is a bit frustrating for them, ok it would be annoying for the legitamate people as well but something has to be done?

the chansers are the people spamming are the same people but different email accounts, lock it so only one email adress can have one forum account?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all interesting suggestions. Spam is certainly something that we would like to see a lot less of on the forums. ian! recently implemented a visual registration confirmation step to our forums registration process, which I think has helped quite a bit. At least, it appears to if you look at the spam forum.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: