WineX subscription version
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roXet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: WineX subscription version Reply with quote

I am about to get DSL (yay!!!) so I will be able to use my gentoo system again. I've been stuck with a winmodem since my good USR got friend a few months ago.

I am considering purchasing a Transgaming subscription, because if I can get Warcraft 3 working windows will be no more on my system. =) I was reading the install faq on their website and they only talk about rpm and deb packages. How would I install it on my gentoo system? Does anybody else using gentoo use the commercial version of winex? I just want to make sure it will work before I buy a subscription. =)
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it. I just grab the rpm and use kpackage to install it. The main nuisance is that you have to tell it to ignore the dependences for the rpm (since it checks for the other rpms and not the actual libraries that are needed). There are also slackware-style .tgz files for the subscription version.
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, tell me roXet if you get wc3 wirking with the commercial winex version, cause i want to subscribe, too.

and then, of cause, there is no argument to let windows steal my hd-space ;-))
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wc3 works fine with the subscribed version ..thats all I ve been using on gentoo ...the targz is the easiest to install ..just download and unzip.tar into / and your ready to rock ....

Cheers
Dale.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Warcraft 3 working too after installing the rpm under Gentoo, but my only problem is that despite networking seems to be working for me in most ways, I'm not able to connect to Battle.net, and the TransGaming people don't seem to be able to help me...
Pitr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought WineX the other day, and I found that rpm -i -nodeps WineX-2.1.rpm (or what ever) works fine for the install - now I just need to make it work :)
kemical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
wc3 works fine with the subscribed version ..thats all I ve been using on gentoo ...the targz is the easiest to install ..just download and unzip.tar into / and your ready to rock ....

Cheers
Dale.

this is the easiest way to do it, then goto www.franksworld.net to get help with installing wc3 along with other VERY helpful utilities.
wulvyrn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: warcarft 3 install fails Reply with quote

i couldn't get it to install with winex (it did install but errored on the end of it)

ie. the partch say to reinstall warcraft3 and then patch it. well i can't install it.

i'm thinking of installing it on a win98 machine and copying over the reg keys and install dir. i know more than one way to skin a cat.

p.s. i'm also using redhat beta3 at the moment with no odd (rawhide) installed.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kemical wrote:
Swishy wrote:

Cheers
Dale.

this is the easiest way to do it, then goto www.franksworld.net to get help with installing wc3 along with other VERY helpful utilities.

WC3 should work out of the box on the latest release ..I had no troubles at all ......but I agree www.franksworld.net is damn handy :)

Cheers
Dale
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you connect to the battle net, swishy?

I can't subscribe because I don't have a credit card. I sent transgaming a mail, but I am still awaiting the answer.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent actually tried to be honest ...havent had enough time lately :( but check out this link http://www.transgaming.com/showthread.php?msg=15921&forum=560&thread=15921
should work fine with this workaround also
http://www.transgaming.com/showthread.php?msg=15903&forum=560&thread=15903
on the same topic .....
Hope these help
Cheers
Dale.
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
I got Warcraft 3 working too after installing the rpm under Gentoo, but my only problem is that despite networking seems to be working for me in most ways, I'm not able to connect to Battle.net, and the TransGaming people don't seem to be able to help me...

If you are using a cd crack battle net doesn't seem to work (but I could be wrong).
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyreth wrote:
Carlos wrote:

If you are using a cd crack battle net doesn't seem to work (but I could be wrong).
Sadly(?), I'm 100% legit with Warcraft 3, as well as the other Blizzard games that I've tried unsuccessfully to use to connect to Battle.net - Starcraft and Diablo 2. I've also tried updating the games manually first. So bizarre...
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like winex a lot, and I was a subscriber up until very recently (my fundage is getting pretty low, so I cancelled out of worldpay, but I still have 22 days on my account where I can download it, etc). I plan on resubscribing as soon as I have a more steady source of cash, but I was curious, what exactly are the differences between the cvs version of winex and the commercial version?

I'm going to try the cvs version with all the games that worked in the commercial one and see if they work (Nocturne worked awesomely, as did the derivatives of its engine).

I'm guessing the differences are probably in some libraries that can't be open sourced for monetary reasons or license reasons, but does anyone know exactly?
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaterale wrote:
I like winex a lot, and I was a subscriber up until very recently (my fundage is getting pretty low, so I cancelled out of worldpay, but I still have 22 days on my account where I can download it, etc). I plan on resubscribing as soon as I have a more steady source of cash, but I was curious, what exactly are the differences between the cvs version of winex and the commercial version?

I'm going to try the cvs version with all the games that worked in the commercial one and see if they work (Nocturne worked awesomely, as did the derivatives of its engine).

I'm guessing the differences are probably in some libraries that can't be open sourced for monetary reasons or license reasons, but does anyone know exactly?

Basically alot of copy protection stuff , but winex bin version has things like quartz etc partially working that arnt working in cvs due to licencing issues
some of the directx dlls and stuff arnt in cvs due to the same reason..

Cheers
Dale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: