Current state of 32bit games on 64bit?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNKyDeth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Current state of 32bit games on 64bit? Reply with quote

Well, I am wondering what is the current state for 32bit commercial games under AMD 64bit Genetoo? A decent list of games I use can be found here.
http://www.easylinuxguide.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=735

If the situation is not in a good state yet in terms of compatability what is needed to be done to make it happen? I tried Gentoo AMD 64bit awhile ago but couldn't use it at the time with my games. I really want a 64bit OS for my cpu but I cannot leave my games behind. I don't really wanna dual boot into a 32bit linux OS while I have the 64bit OS on here. I need one or the other and am eagerly awaiting full 32bit compat for my games.

Any info is good info so please indulge yourselves. :)
robnotts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have found that might make games that little bit easier to run is a 32-bit version of the SDL libraries...

I have not installed a 32-bit chroot system here, wouldn't know where to start, nor have I installed multilib for gcc...

Maybe someone has compiled them and is able to post them?

Rob.

Gentoo Phenom][ X4 955 on AMD790 + Geforce 220GT 8GB/1.75TB (Desktop)
+ MythTV (3xFreeview,1xFreesat HD) on 1080p
Gentoo Turion64 X2 Geforce 6150 2GB/120GB (Laptop)
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 32-bit Linux game I've tried running is Civilization: Call to Power. It runs fine on Gentoo's AMD64 version with 32-bit libraries installed. The only problem I have is with sound, and that seems to be a driver issue with the VT8237 in my MSI K8T Neo-FSR motherboard, not a Gentoo AMD64 issue per se. (If I cared enough I'd try buying a separate PCI sound card.) On first attempt, sound is sped-up and choppy. My workaround is to force the game to use esound by playing a long (and silent) .wav file via the ALSA OSS emulation system while starting the game. This generates better, but still imperfect, sound. In this configuration, sounds can be delayed by a substantial fraction of a second, or perhaps slightly more than a second, and sound is a bit "razzy," as if the speakers were loose and vibrating in their cases (they aren't). I expect, but cannot state with certainty, that these problems would vanish with a better-supported sound card.

Oh, and I'm using the static version of the civctp binary; the dynamic version doesn't work. (It hasn't worked on 32-bit systems for me, either; the libraries required are just too old, and tracking down a working set has proved to be too much bother.) IIRC, the installer stopped working on recent distributions months ago; I put together an RPM of the most recent version when I had the chance, and I've installed from that whenever I've upgraded my system. Again, this isn't an AMD64-specific issue, and in fact I haven't even tried installing the program directly in Gentoo.
ozric100
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just setting up my system .. and working the kinks out.. but I am an avid player of AA so .. this is a must for me. I have seen posts about installing the 32bit glx libs for the Nvidia drivers.. but nothing real solid. I agree there must be a better way. Some people dont belive in Linux on the Desktop ... let alone a 64bit desktop.. so maybe we are too far out on a limb with a saw on this one. But that is nothing new for me. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: