Americas Army Graphics Problem on Radeon 7500 Mobility
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaboo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Americas Army Graphics Problem on Radeon 7500 Mobility Reply with quote

I've searched these forums, and I haven't found anything about this particular problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 with 2.66 GHz P4, 512 MB of RAM and a Radeon 7500 Mobility with 64 MB of VRAM. I installed Gentoo from the 2004.0 x86-minimal install. I use the 2.6.3-r1 gentoo-dev sources for my kernel. I have DRI compiled in with the radeon driver. I believe my XF86Config file is setup correctly, as I have a working X environment and glxgears and tuxracer run just fine. I emerged Americas Army which took a little while, but did not result in any errors. The game starts up just fine and brings me into the setup area. I tried to go straight into basic training on the marksmanship course. However, after the map is loaded, the graphics are all messed up. It's like all of the textures expoded on the screen. I'm seeing blocks and what look like stalactites or stalagmites everywhere. I can hear the instructor giving me instructions and I can mouse around. If I mouse up and look at the sky, I see what does look like sky. Sometimes things will become more like they should, but only so that I can vaguely make out what is in front of me. I have tried bumping the video settings down and unchecking everything in the advanced video tab. However, I still get the same results. Am I just expecting too much of DRI and the radeon driver? Any ideas about how to resolve this? Thanks for any help.
BlindSpy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a hardcore america's army gamer. I have an ati 9600 pro and i used to play all the time in windows. Then i switched to linux and i havent been able to play AA since. Even if you get the graphics to display correctly, the ati drivers are just so bad that you wont get any frame rates above 10fps. This is unavoidable. I am in the clan [-UNITY-] and have some ties with developers. When I talked to two AA developers about it, both said that it was almost completely hopeless to play AA on linux with an ATI card just cause the ATI drivers are such crap. (thats not a quote by anymeans but that pretty much sums it up).

I asked if they could just try and talk with ATI but they said they've talked many times to ATI and they just wont, and arent planning on putting any time into the linux drivers. Leaving us Linux users basically with a paper wheight until we get an nVidia.

I spent probably 2 months of in depth searching for an answer to my questions about why AA worked so bad on linux and ATI only to find this. By all means you should still search for an answer and maybe you will find one but i've found nothing.
vificunero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Americas Army Graphics Problem on Radeon 7500 Mobility Reply with quote

Jaboo wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 with 2.66 GHz P4, 512 MB of RAM and a Radeon 7500 Mobility with 64 MB of VRAM.

Same hardware , same problem. Well probably it's not the best hardware to play games on linux. Also Enemy Territory doesn't work properly on linux here on my box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: