12" powerbook and gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rumbletumjum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: 12" powerbook and gentoo Reply with quote

i've got my 12" powerbook and want to run gentoo (preferably 2004.0) on it. however, i'm a little wary as i went diving on the forums and found people who have had showstoppers on their pbs. i've run gentoo on pcs before and haven't had any problems whatsoever. is it that difficult to get gentoo up an running on a powerbook? if anyone of any issues i should be aware of it would be greatly appreciated.

merci
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: install on a PB 15" Reply with quote

I installed an Albook 15" three months ago.

I had quite a few problems but was new to gentoo. I would be more efficient now (and not re-do the install 4 times). In the end I would say it is definetely worth trying.
Here is a brief summary:
- if you want a dual boot, beware of the order of partitions. This is well documented around.
- problems with the file system. ReiserFS seemed to conflict with the ppc kernel I was using (2.6.1 benh1). I dropped ReiserFS after two attemps.
- problems with the bootloader. Yaboot configuration was painful. Basically, the best thing to do is to edit the configuration file by hand, launch by hand myofboot (or equivalently ybin).
In case the bootloader does not work correctly, do not hesitate resetting the openfirmware
(command-option-P-R or command-option-O-F). Helps a lot.

Beyond this, you will remark that quite a few things are not supported right now but you will probably be able to live without. For me: Wi-fi (not a probllem), DVI output (use OSX when doing presentations), Radeon 9600 support (too bad for the games; you should not be concerned by this one though).

Regards,

Xavier
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: install on a PB 15" Reply with quote

On the 12 inch use gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.5. Everything before that (>=2.6.3) locks on mounting proc. The 2004.1_rc3 livecd (cfr sticky topic about 'proc mounting issue') has a 2.6.5 kernel and is bootable on the 12inch without causing the kernel to hang.
TrevC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is 2004.1_rc3 available for download?
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: install on a PB 15" Reply with quote

pvdabeel wrote:
On the 12 inch use gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.5. Everything before that (>=2.6.3) locks on mounting proc. The 2004.1_rc3 livecd (cfr sticky topic about 'proc mounting issue') has a 2.6.5 kernel and is bootable on the 12inch without causing the kernel to hang.

*just a comment*

I`m using a brand new 12" Powerbook with kernel 2.6.1-benh1. The 2004.0 LiveCD didn`t boot, but I was able to install with 1.4 LiveCD and the new tarballs. No problems so far.

Markus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: