An interesting portage tool idea...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pioto
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: An interesting portage tool idea... Reply with quote

Hmm... I've been thinking... I don't think this exists, but it would be great if there were some sort of portage tool for giving you a report of all the different ewarn, einfo, etc.. messages that occur during a long emerge -uDvp world... I REALLY don't want to sit there and watch, but I know I sometimes miss useful information. This also is the root of a noticable chunk of the problems people seem to come to #gentoo with...

So, I think that we should try and come up with a system for reporting all of these things to the user. I can think of several different possibilities.

1. Do something in the vein of genlop --pretend, where we would pipe the output of our emerge process to the reporting command. This would be rather iffy... One, you'd lose seeing the entire build process. Two, it seems to me like it would be a HUGE memory hog / massive waste. But it's still a possibility.
  2. Have something that would report the various ewarn, einfo, etc messages from the given ebuild. This would be better in some ways. First, it wouldn't block any output during building. Second, you could re-check the info later on. This could also be done where, instead of scanning the ebuild files on demand, you build a database, like with esearch's eupdatedb command.
  3. A more direct implimentation using the existing portage python api. I'm not too familiar with the portage api for python, but maybe there's a more direct way of doing this with that. (Like jumping to the appropriate phase in the ebuild?)

I'd appreciate any ideas that people can come up with and, although I don't know python well now, I could possibly make this my summer project. :wink:
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can activate the LOGDIR in make.conf and grep through the logfiles afterwards.

There was also a patch in bugzilla that did similar (logging only einfo, ewarn). Don't know if it is still worked on.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two scripts I can think of which do similar things:

ehush which only shows the important stuff from emerge and portlog-info which parses information from your portage log.
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it also would be useful if all of the post install info came at the very end of everything emerging. That way I don't miss that I have to run python-updater or something like that when its the second out of 30 some odd packages I'm updating.
pioto
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaLCy0n wrote:
I think it also would be useful if all of the post install info came at the very end of everything emerging. That way I don't miss that I have to run python-updater or something like that when its the second out of 30 some odd packages I'm updating.

Yes, HaLCy0n, that is what I envision as the point of this tool.

Earthwings, good idea about using the logs... But, are those messages logged? **pioto checks a few logs...** Hmm... why, yes, they are! One thing, though... It looks like a rather complex naming scheme for log files... Like, there're two log files for one emerge! Although I am sure that the conventions are well documented somewhere...

tomk, hmm... portlog-info seems to pretty much have the functionality i'm looking for. I don't think I want ehush because I would still like to see all messages during build. But if I could somehow get portlog-info to show the Error, Warnings, and Info from the builds that just happened, I think that a LOT of people would find that useful. Ultimately, maybe some sort of integration into emerge?

Until then.. not quite sure how to implement... Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't only the times of individual emerges logged, but not what a particular whole batch was? Meaning, you couldn't just run a command afterwards to tell it to report from the "last emerge"... that would only give you the last package in the whole emerge -uDvp world or whatever you did... and you can already see the final messages from that :-p...

Ideas?
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You may want to try something like `emerge foo | tee ~/filename` to get ouput redirected to a file as well as on screen.

2. I agree! It would be nice, but anything that I think has an important ewarn at the end I check myself `less /usr/portage/{CAT}/{PAC}}/{EBUILD}` I agree though, I'd love for some mechanism to catch all ewarns and show it after the emerge clean.

3. Do you mean only executing one command at a time? Say only unpack, or only configure, or only make, etc. If so, look into the ebuild command `ebuild {path_to_ebuild} unpack`
Toro_g
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try "genlop".
Just found it on packages.gentoo.org.
pioto
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toro_g wrote:
You can try "genlop".
Just found it on packages.gentoo.org.

No you can't... genlop is only useful for determing times of ebuilds and giving you approximations for re-building a certain package. While that *is* useful, genlop itself cannot do what I'm looking for, although what I'd be doing would probably be very similar to genlop...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: