XOrg-X11 v6.7 released!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: XOrg-X11 v6.7 released! Reply with quote

This is big, the first official release of the XOrg X11 server to contain updates from the last acceptably licensed XFree (4.4rc2).

Linkage: Announcement - Release Notes - Project Home - Spyderous' ebuilds - ebuild discussion thread

There are some cool updates, including some really neat bloat beaters.

For instance, XFree86 uses it's own versions of font config and freetype, among other libraries. These silly restrictions have been lifted:

Release Notes wrote:
Fontconfig will no longer be installed by default since that has often/usually resulted in overwriting more recent versions. The fontconfig version 2.2.2 shipped in X11R6.7.0 needs to be built to allow programs in the tree to build that depend on it, but those programs will run fine using installed versions of fontconfig.

(ditto for other such libraries)

And there has been a spring cleanout. TinyX (kdrive) was removed as the used version was 15 months out of date and nothing like the current snapshot (available from xserver on fdo) and other stuff that was just dead or unused:

Release Notes wrote:
The remains of XIE and PEX extensions were removed completely. Similarly, libxml2's remains were removed, as it is not used at all in the distribution.

There's lots more goodness in this release. This is the best thing that could have happend to X Windows. No longer is development of the XFree86 project stifled by the XFree86 project as it now lives under a new XOrg community. Progress can be made!

What with this and Keith Packard's X server and all the other X goodness going on at fdo, we're gonna be spoilt.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi

Last edited by charlieg on Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just note that this seems to be achieving many of the goals of the seemingly dead Xouvert project.

It is modularising, breaking out dependencies and avoiding duplication. It's looking very promising indeed. A cruft-free X11 server!

And finally the hard working Cygwin/X guys can get their contributions in quickly rather than constantly jumping through hoops as they had to with the XFree86 project. The more I'm reading about the current rate of progress, the more I believe that the XFree86 project had become poisoned with politics, especially those of the lead developer David Dawes.

Several of the core developers have left the XFree86 team to join the XOrg community. Good stuff!

shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
It is modularising, breaking out dependencies and avoiding duplication. It's looking very promising indeed. A cruft-free X11 server!

Note that this version isn't really fully modularized. It's dubbed the "monolithic" release. In early February, the x.org folks decided that it was better to get a product shipped out quickly even if it wasn't ideally as modualrized as they wanted. They have done just that, and filled the rather gaping hole the XFree license change proved to be.

Props to the x.org team.. for bringing vitality back to the X11 world!
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they plan to continue to support this after fdo get's their xserver up and running. Is the plan to maintain two x11 implementations? I plan to use xserver once it's stable enough, are others? If so, would xorg die out? hmm...

Either way, this is huge. Under new leadership we may actually see some improvements on our X server aside from driver updates and mouse themes.

I love the fact that I can unmerge xfree and merge xorg while still using kde... that's just awesome.. :)
Drooling Iguana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this gets added to Portage, will it automatically be updated when I update my packages, or will I have to unmerge xfree and merge this one? Will my config files port over, or will I have to re-create them?
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfujimoto wrote:
I wonder if they plan to continue to support this after fdo get's their xserver up and running. Is the plan to maintain two x11 implementations? I plan to use xserver once it's stable enough, are others? If so, would xorg die out? hmm...

I hope they'll continue both versions. Xserver is radically different from XFree/XOrg-X11 and it's always good to have alternatives.

hensan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one welcome our new Xorg overlords... wait... this isn't slashdot :oops:

From the release notes:

Quote:
Additionally, X.Org will be attempting, when possible, to contact copyright holders of material in the distribution when those copyrights do not follow the Debian Free Software guidelines to see if they can be relicensed to adhere to those standards.

Now THAT is what xfree should have done instead of starting to mess about with that new license.

Last edited by hensan on Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfujimoto wrote:

Note that "fdo" doesn't actually do anything other than provide project hosting (and related services) to projects that could be useful for the free desktop. That would be like saying sourceforge.net is developing gaim and sim since it hosts them. You could have any number of competing X servers on freedesktop.org.
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please forgive my ignorance, is it in the portage tree (masked, hard masked or whatever)
if so, what is the the package name?
TIA
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
rfujimoto wrote:

Note that "fdo" doesn't actually do anything other than provide project hosting (and related services) to projects that could be useful for the free desktop. That would be like saying sourceforge.net is developing gaim and sim since it hosts them. You could have any number of competing X servers on freedesktop.org.
Yes you're right. I meant Xserver hosted by fdo. I guess we'll have two implementations then... which I don't like for a number of reasons, but I understand why it would happen and see the benefits.

edit: irf2003, emerge xorg-x11
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfujimoto,
many thanks for providing the package name
happy gentooing
smiley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
rfujimoto wrote:

I hope they'll continue both versions. Xserver is radically different from XFree/XOrg-X11 and it's always good to have alternatives.

I think the idea is that when Xorg is completely modularized, then Xserver can be a replacement for the server componant of Xorg. At least that's what I heard.

smiley 8)
greg_g
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the compresence of both the "monolithic" tree and the modulirized one, from the Release Notes:
Quote:
There will be future maintenance releases in the X11R6.7.x series. However, efforts are well underway to split the X distribution into its modular components to allow for easier maintenance and independent updates. We expect a transitional period while both X11R6.7 releases are being fielded and the modular release completed and deployed while both will be available as different consumers of X technology have different constraints on deployment. We have not yet decided how the modular X releases will be numbered.
Syzar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now succesfully running X.org 6.7.0. Installation was quite an painless.
Unmerging Xfree and then merging xorg-x11. I didn't even have to remerge my nvidia-drivers. :D
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfujimoto wrote:
I plan to use xserver once it's stable enough, are others?

For what it's worth, I have been using xserver as my only x-server for a few months now. I haven't dabled with the transparency or anything, but xserver+fluxbox seems to be quite a happy couple. I havn't had a crash, lockup, or any such in that time.

Roll on both servers, choice is fun, choice is good.

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
ktech
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any of you running Ati-Drivers (binary ones) with this release?
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished installing xorg.

It does seem a bit more resposnive i must say.

They've also added some checked lines (small squares or something) background, just before the X starts :D:D:D
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering about the X dependencies of a bunch of apps I'm using. Will these apps still ask for Xfree to be emerged or will xorg be recognizied as X dependency?
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreas wrote:
I'm wondering about the X dependencies of a bunch of apps I'm using. Will these apps still ask for Xfree to be emerged or will xorg be recognizied as X dependency?

Any programs needing X should depend on virtual/x11, which is provided by xfree and xorg-x11. You should be ok without xfree.
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, thanks, I think I'll give it a go then. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: