View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
stormcrowley wrote:
In most cases, a user who used a graphical installer will be more shocked when something goes wrong, and have less of an idea of where to begin to fix it.

I think it would be far better to make good standardized GUI tools that let you fix things without using the CLI. Yes, it's it's possible to have a UNIX-ish system without having to resort to the CLI to fix things, as MacOSX has proved.

I think Linux is still a ways off from that. I have ideas about a standardized, new GUI for Linux, but I'm no programmer. I could present my ideas in text, though other people would have to take those ideas and run with them.

Anyway, once Linux gets to that point; where CLI and GUI are nearly interchangable in terms of power, then the Linux community at large will have hit a very significant milestone.
tbacav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that while the arguments for a GUI based installer (mostly just ease of use) are valid, it isn't really the point of Gentoo. For me Gentoo is all about hand rolling your OS into a slim, secure and fast shape and having a fantastic package management system in the form of portage.

As others have said, this is a great way to learn more about how Linux works and forces you to sink your teeth into the CLI and some documentation, which is a fantastic experience for those with enough technical know-how to handle this much. Newb users should be able to just follow the handbook and have a basic system up and running. Ideally, they should be starting out with another distribution, something like Mandrake or Slackware.

In Windows one often has to dig through several guis or a time-consuming wizard to fix things, under Linux simple problems are fixed by reading some logs, modifying easy to understand config files, and running a command or two. Sure, it takes a little more knowledge, but it's usually a quicker and more interactive way of doing things.

The argument about time becomes a moot point when using binaries. One could have a Gentoo system up in the same time as a Debian system, but for me the chance to compile code is just another part of the Gentoo experience.
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me , the current installation methods (live cd , other distro ) is very good , nice and useful and sufficient :)

greetzzz
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbacav wrote:
I think that while the arguments for a GUI based installer (mostly just ease of use) are valid, it isn't really the point of Gentoo. For me Gentoo is all about hand rolling your OS into a slim, secure and fast shape and having a fantastic package management system in the form of portage.

I don't think you can define a "point to gentoo" like that. Although, that may be the point to gentoo for some users of course.

Quote:
In Windows one often has to dig through several guis or a time-consuming wizard to fix things, under Linux simple problems are fixed by reading some logs, modifying easy to understand config files, and running a command or two. Sure, it takes a little more knowledge, but it's usually a quicker and more interactive way of doing things.

That's true, and I don't think anyone advocating GUI-tools/installers is saying that we should take the CLI *away*.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread #21354 or #31542 for the "Make an installer" subject ?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Is this thread #21354 or #31542 for the "Make an installer" subject ?

But it's a first! Somebody that wants a Gentoo installer just like Debian's!

:roll:
Cerement
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: What about a installer like Debian Reply with quote

soNNe wrote:
I was installing debian the other day, just for fun. And was wondering, why gentoo didn't have an installer like this, it is easy to use and it dosn't take long to install the damn thing.

You mean like the debian installer that doesn't work on my system?
Blue Fox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the installer, even though i didn't have problems with the installation system.
Everybody knows that we learn realy a lot during the instalation process, but I don't wake up everyday with that motivation to do a Stage1 Installation, but you may need to do that.
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can "do" stage3 and recomplile system when you have a good motivation :) hm , is idea of anaconda-base intalator ( ble) :
http://www.latinux.org/
and gentoo installation script :) http://glis.sourceforge.net/
the last one , looks good :)

greetz :)

ps :):)
current installation method rules :)
_dook_master_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the rest of you, but part of the reason I like Gentoo so much is the challenge it presents. This challenge means a steep learning curve, and I learned more about Linux than I ever thought I would with Gentoo. I think a graphical installer sort of takes away the factor, and makes it just another one of the .com Linux distros (RedHat, SuSE, etc.). Thats just what I think, but I think a graphical installer is just a crutch, and not trying to be elitist or anything, but it sets Gentoo apart from many other distros. It doesn't tell you what to do, or help you along the install, which is why the customisation is so nice. For instance, during Slackware's install, you cannot specify that you want /dev/hda4 to mount to /home, and things like that, it just asks you how big of partitions you want. I am sure that you could still have the command line install possible, but with the graphical installer there, why use it? Well, thats just my two cents....
ratbert90
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, my god get a hold of reality!

Starting gentoo from a stage one install teaches you jack shit.
Honestly. Running scripts/bootstrap.sh is not teaching you much. The only thing it might teach you a little bit more about is CFLAGS and thats about it.

Code:
emerge system

How does that teach you a lot?

You don't have to know much to get the kernel installed either.
Code:
emerge genkernel

That was easy.

The only 2 things you may have to do a little learning on is the fstab WHICH you just have to edit the sample to get working and the grub.conf which you just follow the install instructions. Again its not to hard.

I learned a LOT about linux installing linux from scratch. From what programs do to why you need them. LFS is THE way to go if you want to learn a S**T load of stuff about linux.

Now I use gentoo because I like the community and portage. Not because I learned a lot from the installation.

As for an installer... Go for it! Just don't make it defualt!

Last edited by ratbert90 on Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ratbert90
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_dook_master_ wrote:
For instance, during Slackware's install, you cannot specify that you want /dev/hda4 to mount to /home, and things like that

Yes you can.
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the installer as little as possible when setting up debian systems. I install the base and apt-get whatever I want. That's how I like it.
_dook_master_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratbert90 wrote:
_dook_master_ wrote:
For instance, during Slackware's install, you cannot specify that you want /dev/hda4 to mount to /home, and things like that

Yes you can.

Are you sure? I just did it with my friend, and didn't see anything like that..... 8O
ratbert90
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_dook_master_ wrote:
ratbert90 wrote:
_dook_master_ wrote:

Yes you can.

Are you sure? I just did it with my friend, and didn't see anything like that..... 8O

Im positive. I've used slackware back in the 3.x days.

edit the partitions with cfdisk. Then format them in the installer. Once its done formatting it will ask you where you want the partition mounted. just type /home or /usr
_dook_master_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratbert90 wrote:
_dook_master_ wrote:
ratbert90 wrote:
_dook_master_ wrote:

Yes you can.

Im positive. I've used slackware back in the 3.x days.

edit the partitions with cfdisk. Then format them in the installer. Once its done formatting it will ask you where you want the partition mounted. just type /home or /usr

Heh! Thanks for telling me that. I retract that part of my statement.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this has prolly been said, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.
Personally, after I installed Fedora and SuSE prior to that, I was in another GUI environment. Whoo-hoo! I had to ween myself into command line to do things like re-configure/re-compile my kernel, install from source, (the oh-so-fun "./configure; make; make install" :D), etc.

I truly love and adore the way that Gentoo basically forces you to learn how to do things from the console and how the entire distro works. The fact that I went through the install following whatever the manual told me to do means I have learned the importance of documentation/man/info pages. The fact that I actually was able to set it up successfully, even using links2 to ask on these forums or search on google for help has made me alot less afraid of doing things Command-Line.
uglyb0b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratbert90 said it better than anyone I've heard. I completely agree with him. Learning from the install docs is pure shit, and anyone who says it knows it. Many of us are just reading from the install docs almost exactly, the only thing being learned is the steps to do it next time. On the other hand, doing it with Linux From Scratch taught me stuff just sauntering around the install docs. Want a learning experience? Use LFS. Want Portage? Use Gentoo.

Linux geek and Mac whore.
homeobocks
Guru
Guru

Location: I'm from Canada, and they say I'm a little slow . . . eh?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Gentoo installation. I was between n00b and intermediate when I installed it , and it was pretty straight-forward. I find the Debian installation process much harder.
provicemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see a semi-text based installer. imagine 2 panes, 1 a terminal, the other a part of the install guide. when you finish one step, you hit next, and then the next step of the install guide would be displayed. It'd be sorta a nice walk thru, and a little less intimidating that a black prompt
solomonHk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sortof like the way gentoo is currently distributed. Dunno, just the way my mind thinks. I guess i see too much candy as lack of control.
ratbert90
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

provicemo wrote:
I'd rather see a semi-text based installer. imagine 2 panes, 1 a terminal, the other a part of the install guide. when you finish one step, you hit next, and then the next step of the install guide would be displayed. It'd be sorta a nice walk thru, and a little less intimidating that a black prompt

I have that. I set passwd then go to the 2nd terminal and log in as root.
Then open up links and go through the installer. flipping back and forth and clicking on the next arrow.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFS is by far the better teaching tool. I installed it several times just for the knowledge it gave me. When I had learned all I wanted/needed I switched to Gentoo. Debian and Slackware were my distros of choice before that.

Taught me the most about Linux:

LFS
Gentoo
Debian
Slackware

I see Gentoo almost like an automated LFS. In fact on the LFS boards and rooms you will see a lot of LFSers are installing Portage onto there shiny new LFS installs. The perfect marriage. 8)
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what the developers add, as long as there always is a CLI option.
andyjeffries
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't see the point in having a Debian-like installer. I am a long-term Red Hat user. I gave up trying to install Debian (can't remember what didn't work) about 3 weeks ago, then gave gentoo a go.

I certainly can't see me going back to RH or ever trying Debian ago.

Anyway, my point is that the Debian installer is one of the worst I've seen (and I've actually tried a few distros over the years). I think the Anaconda for Gentoo project is actually the best idea. If you want an easy installer to get the Joe Smith users, then Anaconda is the way to go.

Just my 2p.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: