Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What To Do With Multiple Extra Users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob W
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: What To Do With Multiple Extra Users Reply with quote

My Gentoo installation is working fine, and I'm cleaning things up. I have by default a long list of "users" in my User Manager (Kuser). These were already there when I fired up KDE for the first time. Here's a partial list: cron, at, www, squid, gdm, xfs, mysql, postgres, qmaild + 5 other qmailx users, and postfix. When I create a new real user, I get a warning box successively for each one of the above, which says, for example, 'No Shadow for cron.' Which I assume means no shadow password for that 'user'.

So, can I just delete these phantom users? I'm not running cron, squid, gdm, xfs, mysql, postgres, or qmail. The question boils down to whether or not any other programs require these users in order to work. The larger question is why these users were placed there in the first place. I'm sure there's a good reason, I just don't know what it is...

Your thoughts appreciated.

Rob W.
akhkharu99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is the login screen that you want to clean up, you can simply change the way kde starts up. in the control panel somewhere there is an option (as root mind you) that will let you pick which users you want a picture for at logon. i find this nice, as i also have no immediate need for those users.
go to the control panel, then system, then login manager and make it so only the users you want are listed. hope this helps...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking in favor of Too many users !!!.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: