Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing from the CD with a boot floppy ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
British
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Installing from the CD with a boot floppy ? Reply with quote

Maybe I'm dumb and/or this message belongs to the "newbie" forum, but still, there's something that is annoying me...

For what I've read on this site and on the forums, everybody seem to install gentoo either directly from the CD, or by the network.

In order to boot from the CD, one needs to have a bios and a cd player that make the booting process possible.
And to install from the network, one needs to have the ISO mounted on another Linux (for what I've understood).

All this seem pretty sufficient to install gentoo on any computer...

BUT, there is a "BUT" !

I am trying to install gentoo on a PIII 500 w/ 256MB ram.
I can boot on mostly all Linux distros, QNX and such, but no way to boot on any gentoo CDs I burnt.
And because all the other computers on my network are Zindozz "powered", I can't install from the network :?

So I'd like to know if there's some way to have a floppy boot disk to install from the CD (as any other Linux distro), or if there's another way around... :?:
biroed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wich one did you burn? you can't boot with a stagex.tar.bz.
Some people try to boot with this one.
You can try gentoo .1.2.iso to boot the kernel and then download the new .tar.bz
There is also an alternative install manual
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floppy install question has been asked many times and answered very well here.

Alternative installs including those from other distros covered here. You may want to check out forum search, the FAQ and docs. before posting.

Locking thread.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: