Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hubbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a show stopping bug in gnome-2.6 that comes up every time.

When I change some settings (like changing themes, then compressing both panels into one), then log out, when I log back in gnome hangs at the loading screen and doesn't load all the way. Then the logout button doesn't work, and some of the gnome-session doesn't start. If I delete all the configuration files, it works fine for the first time then I run into the problem again.

Yup. The same problem here.

Maybe it has something to do with optimation as some people have stated. I use -O3 and -pipe only and I haved never encountered problems with -O3 before. Used Windowmaker some years ago and then KDE, Gnome, XFCE and now Gnome 2.6. I have always liked the look and feel of Gnome and in older releases I only encountered some minor bugs.

Well. I'm going to stick with the 2.6 anyways. Test if some of the bugs "dissapear" with -Os.
Blue Fox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a minor bug here:
The loading screen freezes, but I click on it and it desappers
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubbo wrote:
Quote:
I have a show stopping bug in gnome-2.6 that comes up every time.

When I change some settings (like changing themes, then compressing both panels into one), then log out, when I log back in gnome hangs at the loading screen and doesn't load all the way. Then the logout button doesn't work, and some of the gnome-session doesn't start. If I delete all the configuration files, it works fine for the first time then I run into the problem again.

Yup. The same problem here.

Maybe it has something to do with optimation as some people have stated. I use -O3 and -pipe only and I haved never encountered problems with -O3 before. Used Windowmaker some years ago and then KDE, Gnome, XFCE and now Gnome 2.6. I have always liked the look and feel of Gnome and in older releases I only encountered some minor bugs.

Well. I'm going to stick with the 2.6 anyways. Test if some of the bugs "dissapear" with -Os.

I only use -O2 and -fomit-frame-pointer. I aim more for stability than bleeding unsafe cflags.

Anyone else have any idea what could be causing this session load problem?
linfan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, tried gnome-2.6 and found it nice, but very unfinished. The problem for me was that I do not want to run ~x86 and there were so many incompabilities with 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gnome'.

Firstly gstreamer and the gst-plugins didn't like alsa at all and couldn't even compile.

Secondly, 'emerge -uD world' wouldn't work at all - 'emerge -UuD world' only worked, if I went in and added some 40-50 ~x86 in /etc/portage/package.keywords.

What do I want to say by this?

I think that gnome-2.6 at present should only be run on a pure ~x86 system. Don't even try to do it on a mixed system with x86 in /etc/make.conf. The 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gnome' is not to recommend unless you are willing to devote your spare time at trying to figure out why there are so many problems suddenly.

I find gnome-2.4 nice, too. I'm going to wait patiently for gnome-2.6 to become default.

linfan
Blue Fox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linfan wrote:
I, too, tried gnome-2.6 and found it nice, but very unfinished. The problem for me was that I do not want to run ~x86 and there were so many incompabilities with 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gnome'.

(...)

I find gnome-2.4 nice, too. I'm going to wait patiently for gnome-2.6 to become default.

linfan

Why unfinished?
linfan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: why unfinished? Reply with quote

Maybe unfinished was not the best word to use in this context.

What I meant was that gnome-2.6 is not yet fully integrated in a Gentoo stable install.

All kinds of ~x86 intalls is out of question.

I don't have the energy to keep at pace with all peculiarities that the various masked and rc-packages imply. If it was just one or two, I wouldn't mind, but for gnome-2.6 even the glibc will be upgraded, and many packages won't work any more. Many packages such as mozilla etc. need to be reemerged, alsa will be upgraded and suddenly there is no sequencer etc. There will suddenly be two parallel installs of gst-plugins-*. Gst-plugin-oss 0.80 won't work, so I have to install the 0.6* ebuild to get rhythmbox to sound etc. Further cons, see the above mentioned emerge -uD world inconveniences.

... much ado for so litte in exchange.

Hope this better explains my experiences. I want a stable system without any negative surprises.

linfan
HumanPixel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced almost every single bug listed here. I hope an update is posted soon :?
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51961
see: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51787

The above are the biggest two problems I'm having
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Fox wrote:
I only have a minor bug here:
The loading screen freezes, but I click on it and it desappers

Go into the gnome session control (desktop preferences->advanced->sessions), delete the "default" session, and uncheck the "save each session" box.

This bug is well known, something fubars when it saves sessions. There is more errors going on in the background, the loading screen staying is just a superficial part of the problem.
flyinspirit001
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: instead of gnome Reply with quote

use fluxbox!! :) :mrgreen:
Dungeon01 - linux registered user #362502
hetman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just find it slow. i know gnome isnt the fastest but its a piss off. i think back to the days when it was nice and quick, those were the days.
i think its time to go back to kde.
Mben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just emerge gnome 2.6 also and had a couple of problems:

first a sound problem see :
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=170049

also the first time it started enlightenment was used as the window manager
(fixed using failsafe mode)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: