Problems after emerge -u world and etc-update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Problems after emerge -u world and etc-update Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo recently-about a week ago-from a 1.4 CD (the 2004.0 one didn't work) and I've just got round to "emerge -u world"ing. After that ws done, it told me some config files needed updating, so I typed etc-update, re-enabled xdm (I'd turned it off for maximum performance during the emerge) and rebooted to get back into KDE. On bootup, I noticed that it was "fsck"ing /dev/ROOT and /dev/BOOT instead of /dev/hda8 and /dev/hda6, then it told me it couldn't find /dev/ROOT or /dev/BOOT and gave a superblock error (I think that's because it couldn't find what it was fscking). It asked me for my root password to do manual maintenance, but that didn't work. That's fine now-I chrooted in off the LiveCD and changed it- but I need to know how to set what it fscks on startup and what I did to mess all this up. Any ideas on solutions or ways to not repeat the error are appreciated.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems it replaced your /etc/fstab with the default one.
Gatta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Yup, it was. Reply with quote

I fixed all my problems-had a flash of inspiration after I posted and remembered where I'd seen /dev/ROOT and BOOT before. Thanks for the confimation, though. Anyone know where I went wrong?
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup, it was. Reply with quote

Gatta wrote:
I fixed all my problems-had a flash of inspiration after I posted and remembered where I'd seen /dev/ROOT and BOOT before. Thanks for the confimation, though. Anyone know where I went wrong?

Pay attention when running etc-update
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: