View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Help me pick a WM/DE for my parents Reply with quote

Ok - let me first start off by saying I've been away from gentoo for a few months due to a disk failure - it's good to be back though.

I'm overhauling my parents laptop because it's been running on Win98 and it seems to be on its last legs - I thought throwing on a minimal gentoo installation would be the best way to extend its life for another few months to a year or so.

My question is, what is the best choice for a WM/DE that is both highly user-friendly (i.e. all point and click, Windows-ish) and not that system intensive? The laptop is a PII 366 with 128 MB of ram, so it can't really be anything that robust - but they don't need anything that robust. All the system is really used for is Email, word processing, and web browsing. The system needs to have auto-login, and I'm going to try to configure it to have bootsplash so the boot/login process doesn't throw them for a loop. I'll be installing OO so that they will still be able to use their old word documents, but other than that, I have no software requirements. I haven't been keeping up with changes over the past 6 months or so, so I'm not sure what the best choice would be for this.

Thanks in advance
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me pick a WM/DE for my parents Reply with quote

jimlynch11 wrote:
Ok - let me first start off by saying I've been away from gentoo for a few months due to a disk failure - it's good to be back though.

I'm overhauling my parents laptop because it's been running on Win98 and it seems to be on its last legs - I thought throwing on a minimal gentoo installation would be the best way to extend its life for another few months to a year or so.

My question is, what is the best choice for a WM/DE that is both highly user-friendly (i.e. all point and click, Windows-ish) and not that system intensive? The laptop is a PII 366 with 128 MB of ram, so it can't really be anything that robust - but they don't need anything that robust. All the system is really used for is Email, word processing, and web browsing. The system needs to have auto-login, and I'm going to try to configure it to have bootsplash so the boot/login process doesn't throw them for a loop. I'll be installing OO so that they will still be able to use their old word documents, but other than that, I have no software requirements.

Thanks in advance

KDE.

No, I'm not kidding.

I have this old 550MHz celeron laptop with 128Mb of RAM, and I first had XFCE4 on it. It was fast, but didn't have enough applications/integration for me. I now have KDE3.2.1 on it, and its just a little bit slower, but way more integrated, and really feels nice. You don't want to scare them off with a completely different interface, so the lightweight WM's are out of the question, as far as I'm concerned. GNOME is nice, but not advanced enough, in my eyes. So thats why I vote KDE. The speed improvements in 3.2 really help, otherwise'd had not voted KDE. The fact that KDE is completely modular with it's KParts helps with the low amount of memory on that system. Things like Konqueror are the filebrowser and webbrowser, with just one module change. KDM can be set to autologin too. After logging in, my memory usage is only 70 Mb (only a Konsole open).
Apreche
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your parents, who I assume were windows users will probably have the easiest time with KDE. But failing that xfce4 works pretty good on laptops.
benguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

Well, you said they like and used windows, why not XPDE? It is amazingly similar to Windows. If it doesn't need to be that similar I would recomend XFCE.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say KDE is ideal, but if it runs too slow for you on that box (KDE 3.2 isn't CPU hungry at all.. but is quite MEMORY hungry), try ICEWM or xfce4.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for the input guys...I'll try out a few and let you know what works best.
slikdigit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to set it up for them, the more minimal the better- just make sure they have a menu with the apps they're going to use already working, and they know how to start-stop apps, etc.
On the other hand, If they are going to be doing more of there own thing, then KDE or Gnome might be the way to go, with xfce being a middle of the road choice in between those extremes.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I should mention that I will be away from the house for months at a time, and thus the machine needs to be fairly self-sufficient from a WM standpoint. I plan on doing admin related tasks via SSH, but would like to keep this to a minimum.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: