View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToadMan8
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: "Random" X / Nvidia / Gnome issues... Reply with quote

I say "random" in quotes 'cause I'm sure there's something causing it, I just don't know what it is ;)

Anyway, I've been experiencing random X lockups lately. Started a few months back, when the screensaver was up it would hardlock. I'd console in from elsewhere, kill X as root and GDM would restart and I was fine. In the last few days it's been locking more than windows 98 did. (three times in 48 hours), and two of the three I was using the machine, not in screensaver. So I went log-browsing and noticed that XFree86.0.log has mostly resolution configuration babble and nothing mentioning the crash (no time stamps either, what good is that?!) I'm using the "stable" versions of everything relavent on Kernel 2.6.

Oh, another relavent bit is that even though portage informs me I have xfree 4.3.0-r5 installed the top of the XFree86.0.log says XFree86 Version 4.3.0. WTF.

So where should I start, which logs should I paruse (sp?) and what's with it claiming I am running the old version?

Thanks for your insight!
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: nvidia support forums Reply with quote

I would look at nvidia Linux support forums - may be it is a problem related to your card...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: