View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: gstreamer v0.8 plugins in Gentoo ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been having problems playing movies with gstreamer since moving to Gnome2.6.
It turned out that the reason was missing a52dec gstreamer plugin. My solution was to modify gst-plugins ebuild to build this plugin by default, but it seems that this fix is somewhat not according to the Gentoo's behavior regarding gstreamer plugins: the message says that Gentoo packages each plugin as a separate ebuild...
But it seems to me that it is simply too effort-consuming to keep a separate ebuild for each plugin... For example now there is only a couple of plugins there for version 0.8... Not even enough to play a movie / DVD...

Why not make the list of plugins a variable, same way as USE variable used at least for those flags where corresponding USE flag doesn't exist... (ogg/vorbis, xv, ffmpeg, mad seem to be covered by global USE flags, but never the less only oss/alsa/esd flags are actually used during configuration).

So that one could emerge gst-plugins with smth like:
GST_PLUGINS="ogg vorbis mad a52dec ffmpeg whateveriwant" emerge gst-plugins
or
USE="ogg vorbis mad a52dec ffmpeg whateveriwant" emerge gst-plugins

and get all the requested plugins.

Any comments / suggestions ?

Thanks,
Greg.
Al'Capone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: sounds goog to me Reply with quote

I had the same problem when upgraded from gnome2.4 to 2.6 (gstreamer-0.6 was loaded with all the plugins) i started having problems playing mp3 files while cd playback and xine was fine. my fix was to remove gstreamer and gst-plugins all together, and then re-emerge gstreamer and gst-plugins all over again.

But now i have another problem rhythmbox dont work anymore :evil: it seems to be depended on gstreamer 0.6 well got rid off that and now looking for an alternative since i like to listen to internet radio while working.

Your movie issue is easy to fix it seems that gstreamer fails to build Xv video sinks i sort of had the same problem i think i emerged gst-plugins xvideo, and that fixed my problem. ( i use xine instead of mplayer) go to gstreamer-properties and select xvideo instead of whatever is there.

cheers

Al
darksaidin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: gstreamer v0.8 plugins in Gentoo ? Reply with quote

gregy_ wrote:
Why not make the list of plugins a variable, same way as USE variable used at least for those flags where corresponding USE flag doesn't exist... (ogg/vorbis, xv, ffmpeg, mad seem to be covered by global USE flags, but never the less only oss/alsa/esd flags are actually used during configuration).

So that one could emerge gst-plugins with smth like:
GST_PLUGINS="ogg vorbis mad a52dec ffmpeg whateveriwant" emerge gst-plugins
or
USE="ogg vorbis mad a52dec ffmpeg whateveriwant" emerge gst-plugins

I'd vote for the use-flags especially since per-application use-flags are in the making or maybe already possible (I'm not such a portage freak, maybe I'm wrong here). Another advantage of useflags is, that you don't need to dig through this forum to find out the name of the variable you have to set.

Since you came up with this topic, I'd suggest you file a bug report, so the gentoo guys can comment/rant on it :D
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: you are right Reply with quote

You are right... I've posted it at the bugzilla (ticket #47367).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: