Software RAID-0 Sequence
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Software RAID-0 Sequence Reply with quote

Hello. I have a dual 300Mhz machine with three scsi drives. The first one is just a regular old drive with the /boot /tmp /var swap and / partitions on it. This is the boot drive. I want to configure the remaining two drives in a RAID-0 array and store my /var/www, /ftproot/ and /home directories on them. I've been following this post (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8813&highlight=software+raid0) as well as the Software-RAID-HOWTO at tldp.org. Here's my quesiton.

Do I paritition the drives first then build the RAID array. For example if I want to have /home parition with a total allotment of 10GBs do I make a 5GB paritition on /dev/sdb and a 5GB paritition on /dev/sdc and use them as raid-disk 0 and raid-disk 1? Then I'd build the raid array right? After that I'd use mkfs.xfs to put a filesystem on it (/dev/md0), correct?

Now, I would have to do this for each directory, also?

Basicly is the sequence:Paritition, build array & then install the filesystem?

Thanks![/url]
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... I think after it becomes a device you could partition it
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I build the array, chop it up with cfdisk and then install the filesystem? I ran into problems doing that yesterday. What happened is I ended up with a series of parititions that looked like this /dev/md0p1, /dev/md0p2, etc. Upon doing a mke2fs -j /dev/md0p1 I would get the error that "Special Device did not exist". That's what lead me to believe you make the paritition's first then use them to build the array.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: