Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
whats wrong with the nvidia driver emerge?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: whats wrong with the nvidia driver emerge? Reply with quote

i did a emerge --pretend media blah blah....adn i got a kernel gentoo srcs patch and the kernel and glx pkges so i ran the emerge and it did its thing i configured x went to boot kernel module wouldnt load....so i just downloaded the tar files from nvidia and installed that way...just thinking maybe it should be looked at by someone

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

Yeah, I had the exact same problem as you, also the alsa merge doesn't seem to work either, failure to load modules on startup. Tried modprobing them, that doesn't work either, huh?!
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as to the alsa modules not loading, if you switched from alsa .5x to .9x the name of the sound modules changed (for example for me it was snd-card-emu10k1, now its snd-emu10k1)
also, whenever you compile kernel modules make sure the source to the kernel you are currently running is at /usr/src/linux and that youve already configured them using menuconfig and make dep
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following message was just posted to the gentoo mailing list. Might be of help here:

Quote:
Had the same problem myself... Found out somewhere that when receiving errors like that you will need to backup the kernel configuration (save into another file) and then run a 'make mrproper' in the /usr/src/linux directory. This will clear the system and fix these problems. �After you have done that you will need to recompile the kernel (loading from your saved configuration file) and then recompile the nvidia drivers and anything else that this caused problems with (I also had problems with Alsa, which I had recompiled directly after the kernel.)

hth

--kurt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok but why did the tar files from nvidia work like with no problem...i am not doubting the fix just wondering
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: whats wrong with the nvidia driver emerge? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i did a emerge --pretend media blah blah....adn i got a kernel gentoo srcs patch and the kernel and glx pkges so i ran the emerge and it did its thing i configured x went to boot kernel module wouldnt load....so i just downloaded the tar files from nvidia and installed that way...just thinking maybe it should be looked at by someone

Same thing here. Ever since I added the new 2.4.19-gentoo kernel stuff, the NVidia stuff would not work. I had to revert to using the old 2.4.19-r1 sources...

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got the drivers installed just not the packaged ones from gentoo...which i feel like i am cheating on my gf or something...lol...but hey it works...plus its like stupid easy unpack and'make install'...whooooo....i am not bitchin though...i could not leave gentoo unless someone developes an even geekier distro which isnt likely to happen anytime soon...i really like this compiling emerging on going conf editing madness...lol
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i could not leave gentoo unless someone developes an even geekier distro which isnt likely to happen anytime soon

Well, depending on your definition of "geeky", I would say Linux From Scratch is about the geekiest distro out there. It has all the benefits of Gentoo without any of that fancy-schmancy package manager nonsense. (because, as we all know, package managers are for wimps.) :)
</tongueincheek>

--kurt
Coogee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsa and NVidia drivers are usually compiled against a specific kernel version. If you install a new kernel, you also have to re-emerge Alsa and NVidia drivers. (For Alsa there are some additional things to take care of if you upgrade from 0.5 to 0.9.)
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coogee wrote:
Alsa and NVidia drivers are usually compiled against a specific kernel version. If you install a new kernel, you also have to re-emerge Alsa and NVidia drivers. (For Alsa there are some additional things to take care of if you upgrade from 0.5 to 0.9.)

I tried that. I got the same errors and could not load the NVdriver..
filter69

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: nvidia trouble Reply with quote

what i found when it could not load the NVdriver mod. was that my symbolic link in my /usr/src/linux was point to my old kernel and therefore
compiled against my old binaires and put the darn NVdriver in the
wrong /lib/modules/ path might wanna look there

and as far a alsa goes mine just whine's it cant find asound.conf
in /etc/ so i just made a empty asound.conf with nano and then amixer and every thing just worked

hope this helps later
oh BTW to make a link
ln -s /path of the files you wanna link against /the linkname you want
like this ln -s linux-2.4.19-r2 /linux
this is assuming your in the /usr/src dir first
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: