emerge --update world blew up alsa
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmc2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: emerge --update world blew up alsa Reply with quote

I did my weekly emerge --update world today, it updated alsa-driver, alsa-libs, alsa-utils along with many others.

did update-modules, env-update, etc-update and reloaded to test that everything boots up fine.

Now alsa is dead, I removed asound.conf becuase alsactl didn't like it, tried to create a new one and I get this message:

alsactl: get_controls:432: snd_ctl_open error: Sound protocol is not compatible

get the same message when I try to open alsamixer as well.

I fixed the unresolved symbols issue that came up first, the modules appear to be loaded and happy:

snd-pcm-oss
snd-pcm-plugin
snd-mixer-oss
snd-card-maestro3
snd-ac97-codec
snd-mixer
snd-pcm
snd-timer
snd
soundcore

any suggestions??

thanks,

jason
[/i]
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: alsa jump from .5 to .9 ... Reply with quote

you did update the driver, but all other programs don't realize they need to be recompiled against alsa9 driver ....

only did try it with mplayer, it did work after i did recompile it, maybe it helps, too.

hopefully with alsa9 my mixer on my sblive finally works ;)
jcmc2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since alsactl is part of alsa-utils which was updated as well why is it not working?
Kintaro

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rc-update del alsa default
rc-update add alsasound default

/etc/init.d/alsa stop
/etc/init.d/alsasound start (could raise errors)

I rebooted my system and sound worked, and I was able to run amixer again without errors, etc, etc ...

The only problem I now have is that kmultimedia won't compile for me anymore(!?). Anyone knows something about it?
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole Alsa update seems to be a big pain. I had to rebuild gnome-core to get it to talk to ALSA again.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is killing me!! I unmerged all of alsa, tried to emerge a fresh install and now it says the driver can't be found. I re-emerged all the alsa dependencies as well as alsa-driver, alsa-libs, alsa-utils. still no joy!!! I am trying one more time. I have been searching online all day and there is nothing out there except remove and start over approaches to fixing this.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after much pain I got the damn thing working!! I had to remove everything, emerge it all back in and one final clue that help was discovering that the ALSA folks decided it would be funny to rename the driver from:
snd-card-maestro3

to

snd-maestro3

I would love to thank them personally!!! :D
filter69

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: same prob Reply with quote

except mine said it could not locate my src and then i looked around and found it was looking for a symbolic link named /linux- not /linux
kinda weird but i just linked it to my other sym link and then it worked fine .....

hope this helps
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: