emerge problems during install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: emerge problems during install Reply with quote

I'm having problems getting emerge to get the gentoo-sources.

During the first install attempt I chose dhcp for my network card. The "UP BROADCAST" appeared, however there was "NO MULTICAST"

I didn't think anything of it and continued with the install. When I got to the "emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" I got the following error:

"Calculating dependencies !!! Couldn't find match for sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
;aborting"

I'm using the ext3 files-system. The server i'm trying to use is running Windows 2000 with ICS and a 56k modem.

So the next attempt I use static ip.

"/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
"/sbin/route add -net default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1"

I'm not sure what my broadcast should be along with the netmask in the second command. I was just using what the installation guide from gentoo said.

then I edited /etc/resolv.conf
domain HOME-NETWORK
#nameserver XXXXXXX

I don't think I need a nameserver. But I tried it with and without and it didn't work.

Next I tried editing etc/make.conf and set the
http proxy to 192.168.0.1:6588
ft proxy to 192.168.0.1:21

I'm using Analogx Proxy found @ www.analogx.com for the proxy and it uses port 6588 for http.

Then I also edited etc/conf.d/net and added the gateway ip.

None of this has worked. I noticed when I did an /sbin/ifconfig -a there were 2 devices eth0 and lo. Should I disable lo? How do I disable it?

Also do I need DNS? I never needed it before. Is the gentoo server mirror down? Should I manually add a different mirror?

I'm drawing a blank here. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I'm using the stage3.i686.1.1a file.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge problems during install Reply with quote

Syruz wrote:
During the first install attempt I chose dhcp for my network card. The "UP BROADCAST" appeared, however there was "NO MULTICAST"

Were you able to access any other sort of network resources at this time? (ping external servers, 'emerge rsync', etc.)

Syruz wrote:

So the next attempt I use static ip.

"/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
"/sbin/route add -net default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1"

I'm not sure what my broadcast should be along with the netmask in the second command.

That looks fine except you don't say what your Windows 2000 box's IP address is -- if you just entered an IP address because you saw it in the Gentoo docs, then you probably picked the wrong one. (again, if you were able to ping anything when you were using DHCP, go back to using that -- that's much easier)

Syruz wrote:
then I edited /etc/resolv.conf
domain HOME-NETWORK
#nameserver XXXXXXX

I don't think I need a nameserver. But I tried it with and without and it didn't work.

You absolutely need a nameserver -- it's what tells your computer how to contact "www.gentoo.org" or "www.whatever.com"

Try removing the "domain HOME-NETWORK" from your resolv.conf -- I doubt it's causing you problems, but it isn't really necessary.

Syruz wrote:
Next I tried editing etc/make.conf and set the
http proxy to 192.168.0.1:6588
ft proxy to 192.168.0.1:21

I'm using Analogx Proxy found @ www.analogx.com for the proxy and it uses port 6588 for http.

You're using a proxy server with Win2K ICS? Why?

Also, if 192.168.0.1 isn't the IP address of your Win2K box, this won't work.

Syruz wrote:
None of this has worked. I noticed when I did an /sbin/ifconfig -a there were 2 devices eth0 and lo. Should I disable lo? How do I disable it?

You don't. "lo" refers to your loopback address -- it's normal and necessary.

Syruz wrote:
Also do I need DNS? I never needed it before.

You've always used it before, though you may not have had to configure it. (dhcp generally assigns name servers dynamically)

All in all, I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, though I'm not sure you have a solid grasp on TCP/IP. (that isn't meant to sound mean -- just stating my perception based on your description) If you're not sure you have your IP address set correctly, you probably don't. If you don't have the IP address set correctly, then nothing network-related will work correctly. To determine the IP address of your Win2K box, do the following from a command prompt:

Code:
ipconfig /all

If you post the results here, hopefully one of us can walk you through the rest.

Also, I've never used Windows ICS before -- not sure how that works, but you might read the docs carefully to make sure you have it set up correctly.

--kurt
Syruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ip on the Windows 2000 box is 192.168.0.1. I knew that from the start. I know the command "ipconfig"

When I said I was using what the Gentoo manual used. I was referring to the "0.0.0.0" in the second static config line.

I was running the Proxy software to see if I could get emerge to work with a static ip. I turned off ICS temporarily to use the Proxy software.

I have some knowledge of tcp/ip. Maybe I didn't display that in my post. I haven't completely finished reading my networking books just yet. I'm going to major in CE in college, but I'm not there yet, still in high school :)

I didn't emerge rsync because I used a stage3 install file.

In a state of confusion I rebooted and started a config with a static ip neglecting to ping.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syruz wrote:
When I said I was using what the Gentoo manual used. I was referring to the "0.0.0.0" in the second static config line.

Right, OK -- gotcha. The 0.0.0.0 is correct as a netmask for your default gateway.

Syruz wrote:
I was running the Proxy software to see if I could get emerge to work with a static ip. I turned off ICS temporarily to use the Proxy software.

Proxy software isn't going to do anything for you unless you also have something functioning as your default gateway. You'll need to have Win2K ICS on for anything to work.

OK, so going back to the original question; are you able to ping anything using either dhcp or a static IP? We kind of need to know that before we can start to troubleshoot. If you can ping, then it's probably an emerge problem. If you can't ping, then it's a network problem.

--kurt
Syruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I quit the install, so I will go restart my install using dhcp.

I will post back in probably 15-20 minutes with my findings.
Syruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I pinged www.gentoo.org

It works, but it hasn't stopped pinging. Its on "icmp_seq=151" and its still going. In linux do I have to add commands to a ping so it stops after so many?

Is there a way I can stop it? Esc isn't working.

Okay, so now that we know what ping does what's the next step?
Syruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its up to 350 now. Ah, crap!
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syruz wrote:
Is there a way I can stop it? Esc isn't working

Ctrl-C :)

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syruz wrote:
Okay, so now that we know what ping does what's the next step?

OK, so to bring us all back to the original problem, you can't get gentoo-sources to emerge, correct?

Assuming that's the case, and because you mentioned you're using a stage 3 cd, my guess is you just need to do:

Code:
emerge rsync

To sync up your portage tree. gentoo-sources is a fairly recent addition to the portage tree, so it may not be on the stage 3 cd yet.

--kurt
Syruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ctrl-c. 794 packets later. :D

Ok. I'll try emerge rsync.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syruz wrote:
Ah ctrl-c. 794 packets later.

Just as an aside, as you discovered, ping works a bit differently on linux than it does in windows. :) To achieve the windows-like 4-pings-and-quit on linux, just do:

Code:
ping -c 4 www.somesite.com

The '-c 4' tells ping to send 4 packets, then quit.

--kurt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll remember that for next time.

emerge rsync is currently running.

Thank you for helping me solve my problem. I have high expectations for Gentoo and I don't think I will be dissapointed. emerge is going to make my life so much easier. No more manual downloading and configuring from source like I had to do in Slackware.

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: