View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hubbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.6 is B U G G Y !!!! Reply with quote

So Gnome 2.6 was realeased. I have been using it since it got into portage (a week or so).
Man, the 2.6 has got a SHITLOAD of bugs. Even worse than Windows 98. To many to post here.

But anyways. I was transferring some pictures from my Minolta A1, unmounted the camera. looked at them in EOG and then my desktop went bye bye. I mean wtf! No desktop nothing. And the panel has bugged out and restarted like 15 times.

Anyone with similar experiences with 2.6?
EdSchouten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I guess you tampered too much ;)
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.6 is B U G G Y !!!! Reply with quote

Hubbo wrote:

Anyone with similar experiences with 2.6?

Yeah thats why I'm using KDE right now.
hjlane3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problems here...
gnobus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Via usb? If so, I have no problem. Writing 700M movie in 1 G usb memory works good here.
I like gnome2.6 very much except some trivial bugs.
gtaluvit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Gnome mounts my camera just fine. Copied all of the stuff off into an incoming directory, opened in EOG, no issues.

The ONLY bug i've had so far is I managed to crash gnome-panel while changing themes while the files themselves were being changed (smart, I know). Other than that, very smooth.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gnome 2.6, but I agree there is more bugs and things such as recognizing some .txt files as shell executables than I appreciate. I was hoping for it to be fixed in the final 2.6 but it isnt. Now I will be using it, but when I get my new computer (athlon64 arch), which will be in a few months, i will be looking for something else, gtk based. Maybe XFCE which im testing recently or fluxbox which is really nice too & slim.
Vann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, .0 releases are allowed to have a fair number of bugs. I imagine 2.6.1 will be released soon.

Anyhow, I had many of the same problems as everyone else until I deleted my 2.4 configuration files and started afresh. Since then I've not had one surreptitious crash or weird occurance of any other kind.
Xylene
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even get it to compile.. I keep getting errors and it craps itself. I'm about to just try KDE on this box.
bergs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a bit buggy. Things I discovered in short time:

- gtk-engines have to be recompiled or things will break ... (gentoo related - if you are lucky, you see the message after you compiled gtk2.4 :roll: )

- found two bugs in mahjongg (well, not really important but annoying)
- moves left is always zero after shuffle (only within the dialog box)
- you are user "unknown" in the player stats ...

- Gnome Terminal eats 100 % CPU on my x86 box! The ppc install I have is fine :( I hate this bug ...

I hope most of the things get fixed in 2.6.1.

Simon
darksaidin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is not your problem, but in general I'd suggest not to use overly aggressive cflags. Usually applications are written with specific flags in mind. I guess a -O or -O2 won't hurt (especially since it comes with a huge performance gain), but all those specific -f* parameters are really not designed to be set by a user without insight into the code and their impact on execution speed is so little that messing around with it really doesn't cut it, even if only one app becomes unstable, it's one too much imho.

Anyway, gnome runs perfectly fine on both of my gentoo systems.
ChiaJesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very disappointed with Gnome 2.6. I didn't really run into any bugs, but just a whole lot of annoyances. Like:

- Not being able to change the size of the font used in the application menu
- No quick way to show/not show hidden files in Nautilus
- Actually, Nautilus itself is pretty much a joke

It just doesn't feel cohesive.

-Chia
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the 3rd or 4th thread on this subject but I'll post here to.

The only major bug I have run into (I installed 2.6 on a brand new box) is that the panel doesn't get killed when I log off and the next logon says there was an error starting gnome-panel because there is already an instance running.

Other than that it seems to run pretty good. I actually like the new nautilus. It is so much like the MacOS9 finder that I used to love.
Spawn of Lovechild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with the entire development series on several platforms including Gentoo GNU/Linux, and GNOME 2.5.x and 2.6 have provided me not major grief.

report your bugs to the GNOME bugzilla, if they are indeed not just stupid over optimization bugs.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome 2.4 used to be rock solid for me.
Gnome 2.6 is no different, apart from being faster.

I certainly haven't come across a 'SHITLOAD' of bugs, as you so eloquently put it.

What you have is hardware problems. May I suggest an upgrade is in order? You should upgrade to at least a 300Mhz processor with 96MB of RAM. However, if you can convince mommy and daddy to extend your loan, a 1Ghz Athlon will serve you well. Throw out that EDO RAM and buy a 256MB chip ( make sure to ask for single data rate; the 1Ghz Athlon motherboards don't take DDR RAM ( which is all the latest craze, but you'll find out about that in a couple of years ).

After purchasing or otherwise acquiring decent hardware, I'm sure your 'SHITLOAD' of bugs will be reduced to a trickle of issues that will be traced to user error.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Spawn of Lovechild about the optimizations. If your cflags are crazy optimized then you are bound to run into problems.

Personally I use only -pipe and -Os in my cflags. USE flags take care of the mmx and sse cflags when they are used by a package. I've found this takes care of a lot of bugs in SO many packages.

When a packages docs say the package will benefit from such and such a cflag I just use
Code:
CFLAGS="-blah" emerge blah-blah

to reap the benefits.

Last edited by curtis119 on Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nothus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bergs wrote:

- gtk-engines have to be recompiled or things will break ... (gentoo related - if you are lucky, you see the message after you compiled gtk2.4 :roll: )

- Gnome Terminal eats 100 % CPU on my x86 box! The ppc install I have is fine :( I hate this bug ...

Simon

Unless you have a background picture, don't use transparent terminals :)
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanDan wrote:
Gnome 2.4 used to be rock solid for me.
Gnome 2.6 is no different, apart from being faster.

I certainly haven't come across a 'SHITLOAD' of bugs, as you so eloquently put it.

What you have is hardware problems. May I suggest an upgrade is in order? You should upgrade to at least a 300Mhz processor with 96MB of RAM. However, if you can convince mommy and daddy to extend your loan, a 1Ghz Athlon will serve you well. Throw out that EDO RAM and buy a 256MB chip ( make sure to ask for single data rate; the 1Ghz Athlon motherboards don't take DDR RAM ( which is all the latest craze, but you'll find out about that in a couple of years ).

After purchasing or otherwise acquiring decent hardware, I'm sure your 'SHITLOAD' of bugs will be reduced to a trickle of issues that will be traced to user error.

Wow what's with the attitude? Do you have some personal stake in Gnome?

There are bugs in all software. There are just some pretty obvious ones in the latest incarnation of Gnome. I doubt the bugs are hardware related as I have a athlon xp 2600 with 1gb pc2700 ram. Not a 300mhz cpu with 96mb of ram.
I've had the panel hang on me when logging out, nautilus thinks all .WMV files are incorrectly named .ASF files, and it thinks some AVIs are RIFF files. It's annoying as hell.
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanDan wrote:

Wow, are you ignorant. Perhaps some people experience bugs such as these ones...

There's always bugs, and I've experienced my fair share as well with Gnome... Nothing too terrible like lockups or crashes, but to claim there are no bugs in Gnome (kde, *box, etc) is just plain silly...
skyfolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bergs wrote:

Simon

tried that once. gtk recompile
A smile of joy since I was born.
emily bronte
darksaidin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real bugs I found were

- cannot open hidden files from the new gtk fileselector. (no, ALT+L doesn't work, you can select a file, but it won't be opened).

- nautilus spacial cannot be turned of from the options, needs to be set with gconf

- desktop wallpapers sometimes do not display in the wallpaper preview. Might be filesize related.

curtis119 wrote:
Personally I use only -pipe and -Os in my cflags.

-Os? As far as I know, -Os will produce smaller applications at the cost of *a lot* of performance. It's only been a few days since I tested this with a simple prime-generator. Compiled -Os it was about half as fast as with a simple -O.
Why do you optimize for size?
Hackeron
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Gnome is just plain unusable, its a damn shame. Reply with quote

= Nautilus crashed 9 times for me in the 2 hours of testing. = Its still a lot less responsive than KDE,
= I cannot find any gstreamer enabled programs
= metacity wm doesn't comply with certain 'standards' I've grown fond of (seen in every single WM, or DE I tried except for in gnome, like alt+rmb+drag)
= metacity still doesn't have window tabbing
= the print deamon is really poor to say the least
= gnome-terminal is unstable, transparency settings freeze PC to death (1ghz, 512Mb ram),
= gnome-terminal doesn't support irssi properly, everytime someone sends a message it just goes black and I need to go to new channel + back to see message
= The EOG picture viewer is still worthless, can't gnome make something like kuickshow?
= The PDF viewer is slow and doesn't support contineous page-by-page browsing.
= The control center still lacks many features requiring usage of gconf-editor frequently

Its early in the morning, so I can't think of any more reasons why I cant stand/use gnome ;), anyway, its extremely disappointing, after reading reviews I was really hoping it would finally replace KDE for me as I prefer gtk overall. But I guess I'll stick with KDE+Ion.
darksaidin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome is just plain unusable, its a damn shame. Reply with quote

Hackeron wrote:
= Nautilus crashed 9 times for me in the 2 hours of testing. = Its still a lot less responsive than KDE,
= gnome-terminal is unstable, transparency settings freeze PC to death (1ghz, 512Mb ram),

Must be a problem with your system/setup/cflag-misuse. Works just fine here.

Hackeron wrote:
= metacity wm doesn't comply with certain 'standards' I've grown fond of (seen in every single WM, or DE I tried except for in gnome, like alt+rmb+drag)
= the print deamon is really poor to say the least

Not bugs at all ;) Rhythmbox is example for gstreamer usage. Window tabbing... well, thats a feature. And not one I miss. Can't comment on the print deamon, but maybe you're still using the old one. There was a topic about this.. mhm..

Hackeron wrote:
= The EOG picture viewer is still worthless, can't gnome make something like kuickshow?
= The control center still lacks many features requiring usage of gconf-editor frequently

EOG is supposed to be simple previewer. If you want more, nobody will stop you from using gthumb.
Same goes probably for the pdf viewer though this one particular feature could really be in the default viewer.
The idea behind the control center is that it doesn't display features most users won't need, though I agree that their desire for simplicity is a bit too strong. Same goes for other apps like Epiphany.
joem
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome is just plain unusable, its a damn shame. Reply with quote

Quote:

Nautilus isn't the greatest..but it hardly ever crashes here. 9 times in two hours sounds like something that should be looked into more carefully.
Quote:

me neither..accept for muine,rhythmbox,totem and gnome-media
Quote:
And there is no reason it ever should.
Quote:
gnome-terminal is unstable, transparency settings freeze PC to death (1ghz, 512Mb ram),
Again..most people don't have this problem. Should look more into this..and report what you find to theappropriate people.
Quote:
= gnome-terminal doesn't support irssi properly, everytime someone sends a message it just goes black and I need to go to new channel + back to see message
This is way to true. gnome-terminal is horrible with irssi, and even worse with screen+irssi.
Quote:
What is worthless about it..it displays an Image. What more should an Image viewer do? Try gthumb if EOG isn't doing it for you[/quote]
Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean by continuous page by page browsing..but ggv has always worked fine here with good speed.[/quote]
Quote:
Which is exactly
the point of the gconf editor. Don't throw every option available into a control center and make it uninviting for new users, but make sure to make it easy enough for people to change the more "advanced" settings when they are comfortable with it.
Hackeron
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Totem and Rhythmbox fail to compile against the new gstreamer, only compile with the old gstreamer. As for other feature complaints, just listing why I find gnome not usable for *me*.

As for nautilus instability and gnome-terminal, I have 7 friends who tried it on 3 different distros to exprerience exactly the same bugs. Gnome-terminel 2.4 was more or less ok though.

And by continious pdf viewing, I mean exactly that, emerge acroread and enable continious viewing and see for yourself.

PS, I also really dislike gthumb, I guess its a matter of preferance though, and kuickshow doesn't work in gnome.

Last edited by Hackeron on Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: