Other (specify your religion)
58%
 58%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 130

shash
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with that. I, personally, am a Hindu, or more properly, I follow Vedantic Advaitism.

Simply put, it's the belief that everything is part of the ultimate reality, and while there could be beings more powerful than us, they can't really be omnipotent, because that would circumvent the said Reality.
solomonHk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinisterdomestik wrote:
t1deman wrote:
Open you mind a little.

you obviosly DIDNT read my other posts where i said i fucked up on the choices part did you?? next time try and read the rest of it before you ASSUME i dont have an open mind

ROFL. Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

t1deman: Im sure the atheist appreciate your outward affiliation with their beliefs.
Mindstab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

athiest
Frink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atheist.

everyone is free to believe in what/who he wants. "god", allah, satan, ... .

/edit: added ""
0tankred0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polls say a great deal about the person posting the poll. But enough about that. In terms of typical Texas demographics, I'd have listed Christian (Church of Christ, etc..), Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Judaism, LDS, Orthodox (Greek, Russian, other), Hindu, Muslim, and other. Texas has a surprisingly rich diversity of faiths, all of which, for the most part, make very positive contributions to the community as a whole. While it isn't exactly "California" when it comes to tolerance, the Texas faith communities, and their congregations, deserve more credit than they probably get. Peace.
SwooshingRob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in Robert Lind in Kramfors
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0tankred0 wrote:
Polls say a great deal about the person posting the poll.

and thats supposed to mean?!?!
The Ennead
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mixture of many things and equate myself more to philosophy than a specific religion. My views come from a study of Christianity as a child and then in later life, Buddhism, Islam, Oomoto, Shinto, Heliopolitan, Hermetic, and Sumerian.
0tankred0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No criticism intended at all, just an observation. Where the poster lives seems to greatly affect the poll. However, since the gentoo forums have a respectable international presence, I imagine such polls may seem a little odd to readers from Europe, Middle-East, and elsewhere where their dominant faiths aren't even mentioned.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll brings to mind the southpark episode with the marklars.

Christians: But if you don't repent and confess your sins to the lord, you will die and burn forever in the fire and brimstone of hell!

Marklar: Yes yes, that's nice, move along.

Anyway, it was something like that, I don't remember the wording exactly.
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0tankred0 wrote:
Quote:

No criticism intended at all, just an observation. Where the poster lives seems to greatly affect the poll. However, since the gentoo forums have a respectable international presence, I imagine such polls may seem a little odd to readers from Europe, Middle-East, and elsewhere where their dominant faiths aren't even mentioned.

ah, ok. i didnt know if you were tryin to be an ass or what. but its all good
t1deman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest. Let me start by addressing sinister.

sinisterdomestik wrote:
t1deman wrote:
Open you mind a little.

you obviosly DIDNT read my other posts where i said i fucked up on the choices part did you?? next time try and read the rest of it before you ASSUME i dont have an open mind

I think it's pretty closed minded to slap 4/5th's of the worlds religion in other, while adding christians in as mulitiple choices. It doesn't matter that a day later you wanted to change it. The fact that those choices at any point in time covered all religions, means you were very ethnocentric, and stupid.

As for tankred:
Quote:
Polls say a great deal about the person posting the poll. But enough about that. In terms of typical Texas demographics, I'd have listed Christian (Church of Christ, etc..), Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Judaism, LDS, Orthodox (Greek, Russian, other), Hindu, Muslim, and other. Texas has a surprisingly rich diversity of faiths, all of which, for the most part, make very positive contributions to the community as a whole. While it isn't exactly "California" when it comes to tolerance, the Texas faith communities, and their congregations, deserve more credit than they probably get. Peace.

My current location is California. Did you ever stop and think, like 80% of the people in this state, I didn't grow up here. I've been in this state for a short amount of time. Did it ever occur to you that I might have grown up in Waco Texas, working at the Faygo plant? Who the fuck asked you what religions are in Texas, and you forgot the Branch Davidians.
<tangent>I would just like to say, I think California is one of the least tolerant states in the union. Yeah, they think they are trendy and liberal, but they don't tolerate anything but far left wing bullshit. Try to buy a gun in this state, you'll find out how tolerant they are.</tangent>
0tankred0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My current location is California. Did you ever stop and think, like 80% of the people in this state, I didn't grow up here. I've been in this state for a short amount of time. Did it ever occur to you that I might have grown up in Waco Texas, working at the Faygo plant? Who the fuck asked you what religions are in Texas, and you forgot the Branch Davidians.
<tangent>I would just like to say, I think California is one of the least tolerant states in the union. Yeah, they think they are trendy and liberal, but they don't tolerate anything but far left wing bullshit. Try to buy a gun in this state, you'll find out how tolerant they are.</tangent>

Heh! There are so many ways to respond to this... I know!

Lets recap:
Recently moved to California...
Feels alienated in new surroundings...
Identifies with radical fringe elements... (not always a bad thing :D)
Isolated from local culture and politics...
Frustrated by local gun laws...

Damn! You're a profilers wet-dream (or nightmare) aren't you? *joking*

Seriously, you don't seem happy. Not all states are the same; why not just move?
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1deman wrote:
Looks like I stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest. Let me start by addressing sinister.

sinisterdomestik wrote:
t1deman wrote:
Open you mind a little.

I think it's pretty closed minded to slap 4/5th's of the worlds religion in other, while adding christians in as mulitiple choices. It doesn't matter that a day later you wanted to change it. The fact that those choices at any point in time covered all religions, means you were very ethnocentric, and stupid.

HA you make me laugh at your stupidity, you really do. you think im ethnocentric bc i messed up on the poll options huh?!?! well, answer this, who made this thread?? OH YEAH, that would be ME, NOT you so whether i did it on purpose, deal with it. and besides, you know nothing about me to say im close minded and stupid and anything else you feel like saying. think what you want, but dont assume someones close minded bc they messed up on a poll or something, THAT, in itself, is pretty stupid of you
iswm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agnostic.

I don't care about religion, so long as you don't try and force it upon me. But I'd really perfer it if people kept their religion to themselves.
ScaredFreakyGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% Traditional Roman Catholic

I know that God bestowed on us three gifts not given to the other creatures of this world: 1) intelligence and the capacity for rational thought, 2) an eternal soul, 3) his Grace, which we can equate to the dwelling of God within our souls.

Regardless of your current religious affiliation, I believe that we exist for three purposes, and in this order:
1) To Know God
2) To Love God
3) To Serve God

It is the God-given duty of every man, woman and child to fulfill these directives.

Our first duty, knowing God, comes ONLY from study and reason. By discovering and recognizing truths, we come to know God. Without knowing God, we cannot love or serve Him.

Our second duty, loving God, is a direct result of knowing Him. Actual acceptance of the existence of God (which can be proved philosophically) (EDIT) comes naturally from knowing. You cannot love someone with knowing them.

Our third duty, serving God (remember Lucifer's rejection, born out of pride and therefore love for himself and not God, "I will not serve."), is a direct result of loving God. If you love God, you will want to serve Him, much as a lover gladly sacrifices himself for the one whom he loves.

Serving God leads to the recognition of his first directive, To Know God. As you can see, this leads to a neverending cycle of deeper understanding of God and truth, of more profoundly loving God, and of stronger resolution in serving Him.

We all seek to know God and His truths, even if you claim to be an Atheist or Agnostic. But can we know truth? The answer is Yes. If we could not know truth, then why would we study or ever attempt to learn anything? What if t the command to "ls -al" was actually "rm -rf *"?

Basic philosophy teaches that there is only ONE truth, subjectivism vs. objectivism. Ergo, an apple cannot be both an apple and an orange; it is one or the other. Against all reason, you might think the apple is an orange (subjectivism). This does not change the fact that the apple is an apple (objectivism). Therefore, separating the your bias from the analysis of a philosophical question is the only way to reason if the answer you have formulated is true.

I have determined (and continually seek to question and thereby strengthen) my beliefs. I applaud all of you for your efforts at determing the existence of truth and what it is exactly. You may conclude that I am wrong, but because my many, many years of study, I know that I am correct.

-ScaredFreakyGuy
luminiscent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agnostic atheist.
i'm more of a philosopher.
i believed in god when i was a kid, but then i stopped. my parents are atheists and all this story about some guy on the sky is not for me. i'm not saying there's no god, but maybe people should think what is god. if it's some human, then i don't believe in it. i think god can be some piece of energy or radiation. something we don't know yet. religions are intersting because they are a part of the world history. many scientists believe in god, why? people would think science and religion are the opposite things, but no... there're some things scientists can't explain, not just in space but in the microworld. therefore something exists. something that controls us, but what is it...no one knows yet.
ataphoya
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeeman wrote:
agnostic
free-mind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman Catholic :)
Peace.

P.S.
Sometimes we say that we had luck, but I believe that it wasn't luck... I believe that God helped us. :)

Last edited by free-mind on Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
jtravs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Devout atheist... :D unless science is a religion? (Clearly not).

J
dleidlein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

jtravs wrote:

J

If science is the belief that the universe and life can only be explained in natural terms, yes it is a religion (of course, feel free to disagree, this is the way I see it.)

Last edited by dleidlein on Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
maiden head
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am christian and very happy to be, i have strong beliefs
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

dleidlein wrote:
jtravs wrote:

J

If science is the belief that the universe and life can only be explained in natural terms, yes it is a religion (of course, feel free to disagree, this is the way I see it.)

Science by defination is the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.

No belief system to it. If it can be proven otherwise, then the theoretical explanation changes to suit the findings, better honing the understanding.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: