Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What modules should I install in the kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coign
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: What modules should I install in the kernel? Reply with quote

I read thorugh the FAQ and understand that anything that you use all the time like video card, file system, and network card should be in your kernel.

The step in the install is 7.e and reads as follows.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7

Quote:
If appropriate, you should emerge ebuilds for any additional hardware that is on your system. Here is a list of kernel-related ebuilds that you could emerge:

Ebuild Purpose Command
nvidia-kernel Accelerated NVIDIA graphics for XFree86 emerge nvidia-kernel
nforce-net On-board ethernet controller on NVIDIA NForce(2) motherboards emerge nforce-net
nforce-audio On-board audio on NVIDIA NForce(2) motherboards emerge nforce-audio
e100 Intel e100 Fast Ethernet Adapters emerge e100
e1000 Intel e1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapters emerge e1000
emu10k1 Creative Sound Blaster Live!/Audigy support emerge emu10k1
ati-drivers Accelerated ATI Radeon 8500+/FireGL graphics for XFree86 emerge ati-drivers
ati-drivers-extra Graphical ATI tools emerge ati-drivers-extra
xfree-drm Accelerated graphics for ATI Radeon up to 9200, Rage128, Matrox, Voodoo and other cards for XFree86. Please check the IUSE_VIDEO_CARDS variable in the /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree-drm ebuilds to see what you need to fill in as yourcard. VIDEO_CARDS="yourcard" emerge xfree-drm

Are these the only ones I need to worry about? The install list does not give an direction of how to find out a list of what I might need and not know for it.

My biggest concrn is that I selected the option for the 3Com 900 series for my network card (it is a 905) in the "make menuconfig" but I did not see it listed in the

Quote:
find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'

command. Of course I also checked my video card driver (nVidia) in the "make menuconfig" but did not see that either. I did do an "emerge nvidia-kernel" so maybe I misunderstood what they were doing here and I have loaded my video driver in both kernel and module.

Can someone explain to me in n00b terms what is happening here? Did I do right or am I missing something?
<ph1zzle> I wonder what they taste like
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What modules should I install in the kernel? Reply with quote

Coign wrote:
I read thorugh the FAQ and understand that anything that you use all the time like video card, file system, and network card should be in your kernel.
It's not necessary for the network card driver, it can be loaded from /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x perfectly. However, disk drivers are another story because they are needed to boot the system correctly.
Coign wrote:
Are these the only ones I need to worry about? The install list does not give an direction of how to find out a list of what I might need and not know for it.

My biggest concrn is that I selected the option for the 3Com 900 series for my network card (it is a 905) in the "make menuconfig" but I did not see it listed in the

Quote:
find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'

command. Of course I also checked my video card driver (nVidia) in the "make menuconfig" but did not see that either. I did do an "emerge nvidia-kernel" so maybe I misunderstood what they were doing here and I have loaded my video driver in both kernel and module.

Can someone explain to me in n00b terms what is happening here? Did I do right or am I missing something?
You only need the nVidia card driver when using graphic windows managers, based on XFree86. And yes, it cannot be configured in the kernel. Read the Desktop Guide http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml for additional information.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: