View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Crossover Office 3.0.0 released! Reply with quote

I have it installed and up and running now. Get it here: http://www.codeweavers.com

It is noteceably faster. IE6.0 starts much more quickly.

More good news: Crossover Plugin is included! I am running the windows Flash, Shockwave, and Quicktime plugins successfully in Mozilla, Firefox, and Konqueror.

TIP: Delete your old cxoffice installation, and install everything from scratch. I know, time consuming, but also solves a whole lot of problems. I had no trouble doing any of the supported installs, once I did this.
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossover WINE is a great program, although I'd much rather see companies like Adobe make Linux versions of their products. They already have OS X versions, it can't be too hard to port something from OS X to Linux.
That said, I'll be buying a copy of the new Crossover version later, as it's definitely the next best thing.
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I entirely agree. However, that may never happen, and there will always be plenty of useful Windows applications which will not be ported to Linux. The compatibility of this latest CXOffice is starting to impress me.

I just got Adobe InDesign 2.0 running. So far so good. There is no acceptable page layout software currently available for Linux, so this is a Good Thing.

Now, if I can get Street Atlas USA in any recent version up and running, I will be a very happy man.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get my Adobe Photoshop 7.0 running so very smoothly with 2.1. I'd like to see if they've gotten Premiere or Illustrator working yet.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong, but I think Premiere would have codec issues. Then again, so does VirtualDub, you can just install some win32 codecs to get it to work.

Why do you say that Adobe will never write Linux versions of their products? GNU/Linux is becoming more and more widespread, even Macromedia is considering a Linux version of Dreamweaver and Flash.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that I dont understand is why there isn't better/any support for Windows Media player. I mean 6.4?
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
The one thing that I dont understand is why there isn't better/any support for Windows Media player. I mean 6.4?

Because XINE and MPlayer are much better for Linux.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
codedmart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does IE6 work any better on 3 then 2.1? All it did for me on 2.1 is lock up and I could really use that to work well.
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:

I used to think the same thing. But then I started using gxine, and found that it's just as good, if not better, than WMP.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewy wrote:
I used to think the same thing. But then I started using gxine, and found that it's just as good, if not better, than WMP.

I suppose you are right....I have not used gxine/xine much at all and I probably dont need (in fact I am sure) that I dont need windows media player except for the few websites that use it for their streaming. I have had limited success with mplayer.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
andrewy wrote:

I suppose you are right....I have not used gxine/xine much at all and I probably dont need (in fact I am sure) that I dont need windows media player except for the few websites that use it for their streaming. I have had limited success with mplayer.

XINE or XMMS stream well.

I'd recommend against gxine as it seems to crash and is basically unsupported now. Try XINE-UI - works better.

teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blmartin777 wrote:
Does IE6 work any better on 3 then 2.1? All it did for me on 2.1 is lock up and I could really use that to work well.

IE6 seems to work flawlessly for me. I haven't given it a real run through, granted, but so far, it's been great. I mean, I could even update to the latest IE6 security patches via windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Codeweavers still claims there are stability issues, though. One thing's for sure: it is way fast. IE6 now loads faster than Firefox on my laptop. Hmm... So much for all those guys who claim that IE only loads faster because part of it is always running in the OS.

However, since Crossover Office now includes browser Plugin support, there is very little need for IE anymore, other than to test during web development and for a few very particular websites. Even many ActiveX controls will run ok, via the Netscape ActiveX container plugin and Crossover Plugin.
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:

I'd recommend against gxine as it seems to crash and is basically unsupported now. Try XINE-UI - works better.

The only time it crashes for me is when I try to run it fullscreen, but I know that's just a bug with my setup since it didn't occur before with the same gxine versions.
XINE is nice too, I just can't stand the interface :/
Hayl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visio 2002 works properly now too... it was terribly buggy before.

btw, is there anything that is native that can replace Visio?
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone tried OneNote? that's the one app i can't live without now, and AFAIK there isn't a analog for Linux.
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayl wrote:
btw, is there anything that is native that can replace Visio?

Have you looked at dia?
codedmart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could make sure it worked before I bought it because 2.1 did nothing for me. O well I might just have to get it.
lomi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the trial version, its pretty much the same thing as the full version if you wanna try it out
codedmart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I am trying it out right now but I can't get Adobe to work right with IE it keeps locking up but Crossover is definately getting better.
Tahoe_Strider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Amador County, Awarded 9th Best Place to live in Rural America

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayl wrote:
Visio 2002 works properly now too... it was terribly buggy before.

Hayl, You got Visio2002 working in CrossOver? If you don't mind my asking...How'd you do it? I've got Visio2000 running but I have yet to get Visio2002 running. It appears to install fine, but it refuses to launch for me.
jtaylor72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 2.1 a long time ago, and I just logged into their site and I was able to download the latest for free, even though my support contract ran out months ago. Also, there is no need to uninstall 2.1. Just install the new one into the old folder. IE6 ( i use it for quickbooks for work) used to crash all the time on me, and it works flawlessly now. I did not have to reinstall anything. Same thing for Quicken. Before, the fonts were all in courier and I could not get them to change. Now it looks just like it did in Windows. They have done a wonderful job with this new release.
ormi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I didn't see the difference. Office still loads about 50 secs (1.4GHz athlon xp, 512mb ram).. :?
HelloWorld82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: 3.0 is a lot faster for me Reply with quote

And also a lot of Pixels error in microsoft Word XP aren't there anymore. Thought I still prefer LaTeX :))). It;s only nice to try it out !
eldados
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: any CAD? Reply with quote

Anyone here runing any CAD program with CX? if I can get my Revit to work I'll be a very happy man. runing VMWare in full screen I get problems with the refresh rate...
Remenic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teilo wrote:
Hmm... So much for all those guys who claim that IE only loads faster because part of it is always running in the OS.

Most people will deny this, but it's true. The same is the case for Microsoft Word 2000. Microsoft Word 2000 starts a lot faster than OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 does. I guess Linux preloads wine and Word too, or something ;)

I wonder what the cause is, though. Is it better optimization of code on MS Word 2000? Is it because it uses PE instead of ELF? It's probably all those things than make a big difference. Does OpenOffice.org on Win32 start up a lot faster than on Linux? Or are did Microsoft hire geniouses for MS Office 2000 and MSIE 6.0?

This might sound like a flame, and it probably is ;) But I still use and love OpenOffice.org and Firefox. Even if they are (a lot) slower. But still I'd like to see them get on par at speed/startup time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: