Yet Another Grub AtaRaid problem :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Bell
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Grub AtaRaid problem :) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'll try to make this as short as possible.

I was installing a Gentoo 2004.1 in a box with an Athlon XP on an Epox MB (via chipset). The only hard drivers on the box are two 40 GB IBM discs on a Hardware Raid using a Highpoint Controller (non onboard).

I booted the live cd with the doataraid option and the disc was mapped into /dev/ataraid/disc0

I partitioned that disk using fdisk, mounted partitions, chrooted, bootstrapped, emerged system, configured the basic system. Everything perfectly.

The problem appeared at installing GRUB.

When I tried to root (hd0,<TAB> the program gave me the Error 18 problem and did not seem to recognize the partition table.

So I installed grub in a floppy, copied a basic grub.conf file on it and tried to boot the system.

The main problem seems to be the new booted kernel is unable to mount the root partition because it seems it does not find the device.

We've tried /dev/ataraid/disc0/part3 (since the third partition is /), /dev/ataraid/d0p3, /dev/hde3, /dev/hdg3 and even some scsi devices like /dev/scsi/host2/... etc.

None of it worked.

We compiled the raid support into kernel and when it boots we can see clearly the kernel finds the Highpoint controller and actually finds the raid disc, too, but when trying to mount the root fs it does not recognise any device as valid.

Any help?

Many thanks.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the numeric version (i.e. root=7203) or simply leave out the root= option altogether.

If that still doesn't work, make sure your root filesystem is compiled into the kernel (not a module).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: