View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yosefm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: x font server startup time. Reply with quote

Here's my problem:
Every time I boot in graphical mode, xfs stalls for more than a minute at the "Updating FC cache" phase. Why is that? I tried searching and googling everywhere, but all the info I get is that "xfs speeds up boot time". Well, right now it's the only thing keeping my Gentoo Linux from beating win 98 in startup time.

Does it have to update FC cache every time? Will it help to cut down on cache size? I'm pretty lost here.

Thanks!!
hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating the font cache shouldn't take long at all. If you have literally hundreds of fonts, then yes, it's possible that it will take that long time, but not in any other case. Did you check your XFS config and verified that all the directories specified in it exist, and that all are accessible (have the correct permissions) and that you don't have any trash files stuck in those dirs?

On my 366MHz laptop, manually running fc-cache will take just a fraction of a second:
Code:
hw@baron:~$ time fc-cache

real    0m0.050s
user    0m0.011s
sys     0m0.008s

Håkan
yosefm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks, but no. Here's why: Reply with quote

Well, the font directories were OK. So I took a look at the xfs initscript and found that a variable called SETUP_FONTDIRS is used to see if you want to remake the font cache. Once I turned it off in /etc/conf.d/xfs it all became just peachy :)

Well, I'm new to this distro, I just learned something new. Another day of learning went by...

Thanks anyway!

Yosef.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: