strange soundcard behavior- alsa, soundblaster, kernel 2.6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiscreteOnyxOrb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: strange soundcard behavior- alsa, soundblaster, kernel 2.6 Reply with quote

I've been trying to get sound working on my Dell 8100 for a few weeks now, and haven't gotten any further than I started. The sound is distorted and crackly. Turning down the volume levels to 50% and muting all unneeded items in alsamixer makes music listenable, but I can still hear a crackle/slowdown whenever I open a new window. I can get an effect like a digital turntable scratch by sliding the scrollbar on mozilla (or anything) up and down quickly. Furthermore, when playing video the audio is particularly bad. If I cover up the video window (ogle, mplayer, xine--doesn't matter) with something like mozilla, the audio sounds fine, but as soon as I bring the video window to the foreground, sound goes all crackly. This happens for all video: divx on the hard drive, a dvd disc in the player, etc. The CPU level is normally around 7% with it covered up, 12% with it showing.

I'm using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.4 (tried 2.6.3) with a Creative Soundblaster PCI 128 card. I've checked the card model number to make sure its the one for the ens1371 driver. I've tried alsa compiled in, or as modules. I've tried switching the PCI slots. I've even tried switching to a different ens1371 card. Same problem. I've also tried removing the nvidia module and using the default kernel one. I've tried with and without OSS emulation. I'd be willing to switch to OSS (though removing alsa is a pain), but I've read accounts that seem to indicate it won't be any better.

lsmod:
Module Size Used by
snd_ens1371 19620 1
snd_rawmidi 18560 1 snd_ens1371
snd_pcm 84744 1 snd_ens1371
snd_page_alloc 9348 1 snd_pcm
snd_timer 22020 1 snd_pcm
snd_ac97_codec 58244 1 snd_ens1371
snd 41656 7 snd_ens1371,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_ac97_codec
soundcore 7520 1 snd
nvidia 1700652 10

/etc/modules.d/alsa:
# Alsa 0.9.X kernel modules' configuration file.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/alsa-utils/files/alsa-modules.c$

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
## ALSA portion
## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
## OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
## OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1
options snd-pcm-oss dsp_map=1

Please ask me if any more information would help. This is my first gentoo system.
einstein1981
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like you tried everything possible, so this might be a wild guess.
I had terrible sound with alsa, until I reconfigured the xmms equalizer (this fixed the all around sound problem)

doesn't hurt to check it out.

Also I remember installing that sound card on my grandfathers computer and even in windows the sound was terrible, the sound card was damaged , so i returned it and got a new one and all was fine.

do you have another kernel working, or maybe windows, to see if it's a soundcard problem?

well hope this helps
DiscreteOnyxOrb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: more hints Reply with quote

So I switched one of my ens1371 cards for my roommate's emu10k1 card. The most noticeable difference is that the distortion is more crackly, and when I slide a scrollbar up and down really fast I just hear a bunch of pops instead of a cool turntable mixing effect.

So I thought it might be something in the kernel, some option I should have/have not set. I simultaneously upgraded to 2.6.5 and gave genkernel a try....

I swear that it worked better the first time. Maybe not 100% smooth, but I was successfully watching Shaolin Soccer. Then a reboot, and the problem is back to stay.

My current suspicions are:
1. esd, will try killing it
2. the budget nvidia graphics card i have is fighting with sound, though not in any driver dependent way, will try another roommate swap experiment
3. alsa is FUBAR, and I should try to get depracated OSS working (after invoking the proper spirits to remove all traces of ALSA)
4. this is punishment for using the O3 CFLAG
einstein1981
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you enable alsa emulation?

It seems strange that you get terrible sound with alsa, and an emulk1 sound card.

maybe you should emerge sync and emerge world to get the lates alsa drivers , and try the alsa configuration guide, I think they use the same sound card that you have in the examples...

it's quite strange, more than a driver problem I would say it is a alsa config problem.

you are right about one thing, alsa is dificult to set up, but the results, for me, are better than oss.

give it another try.

there is also an emerge for your drivers, in the alsa guide they say how you should do it, follow it step by step and give it a try
DiscreteOnyxOrb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean OSS emulation? I think I tried both with and without. Do I need it? Should I put oss in my USE flags? Tried versions of alsa drivers from 0.98 to 1.0.3. Tried emerging world. They do use the same sound card but the instructions for the 2.6 kernel are a little vague. Exactly what should I enable/disable in the kernel, and what should be a module?

Additionally, which packages do I need to emerge?

Does anything in my /etc/modules.d/alsa file look suspicious?

Suppose I just want to watch movies, with say ogle (uses alsa) what is the bare minimum alsa config I need? Perhaps simplifying things will help me isolate the problem.

I guess I should unmerge everything alsa related and delete the entry from rc.conf and delete the alsa module file before trying alsa again.

I'm tempted to do this and try OSS before giving ALSA another chance. I just want to watch movies.

As a last resort I could switch to the 2.4 kernel. This seems dangerous as this has been a 2.6 system from the start.
einstein1981
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you update the conf file when you tried to change the sound cars, because the config file is for the first card
Quote:
# ALSA portion
shouldn't this be snd-card-0, unless you have more than a sound card? I don;t remember exactly but this seems to be wrong, uness you have more than a sound card

now for the sound poprtion in the 2.6, i like to compile them into the kernel, not as modules, these are the ones that I have:

<*> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture │ │
│ │ <*> Sequencer support │ │
│ │ < > Sequencer dummy client │ │
│ │ <*> OSS Mixer API │ │
│ │ <*> OSS PCM (digital audio) API │ │
│ │ [*] OSS Sequencer API │ │
│ │ [ ] Verbose printk │ │
│ │ [ ] Debug │ │
│ │ Generic devices ---> │ │
│ │ ISA devices ---> │ │
│ └───────────────┴(+)────────────────

inside pci devices I also have the right sound car for my system...
there is one emulk1 entry, you should try it
and that's it

try it

hope it helps

ps: did you check the mixer levels with alsamixer?
DiscreteOnyxOrb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: over again Reply with quote

einstein1981 wrote:
did you update the conf file when you tried to change the sound cars, because the config file is for the first card
Quote:
# ALSA portion
shouldn't this be snd-card-0, unless you have more than a sound card? I don;t remember exactly but this seems to be wrong, uness you have more than a sound card

now for the sound poprtion in the 2.6, i like to compile them into the kernel, not as modules, these are the ones that I have:

<*> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture │ │
│ │ <*> Sequencer support │ │
│ │ < > Sequencer dummy client │ │
│ │ <*> OSS Mixer API │ │
│ │ <*> OSS PCM (digital audio) API │ │
│ │ [*] OSS Sequencer API │ │
│ │ [ ] Verbose printk │ │
│ │ [ ] Debug │ │
│ │ Generic devices ---> │ │
│ │ ISA devices ---> │ │
│ └───────────────┴(+)────────────────

inside pci devices I also have the right sound car for my system...
there is one emulk1 entry, you should try it
and that's it

try it

hope it helps

ps: did you check the mixer levels with alsamixer?

Updated the conf file for the appropriate driver and tried it every which way, same results every time (tried setting the card to both 0 and 1). I was able to make it sound even worse by messing with alsamixer, though it seems to have gotten messed up with my mucking and there are now way too many channels. So I'm in the process of eradicating ALSA in order to start over.

First I'm going to try OSS and see if the problem is ALSA dependent. Then I'll try alsa again. Now as I understand it, if I compile all the options into my kernel, then the *only* thing I have to emerge is alsa-utils, right? (I know it has to be higher than 1.0.2c for kernel 2.6).

What do the aliases do? (I have always included them)

alsasound should already be starting at boot since it is compiled into the kernel, right?

finally, what does ptions snd-pcm-oss dsp_map=1 do?

ok, wish me luck
A_Bloke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had the same problem as you, and went through all the possible solutions (Throughout the forums), and in the end I emerged gnome-alsamixer, to find out that there is a rogue mixer level still at 100%, can't remember which now...just a suggestion.

A_Bloke
DiscreteOnyxOrb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: SOLVED Reply with quote

for some reason switching from a PCI Nvidia MX400 to a AGP Nvidia GeForce 5200 solved the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: