A warm and heartfelt thank you to the whole Gentoo community
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasquedAvenger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: A warm and heartfelt thank you to the whole Gentoo community Reply with quote

I posted this to the gentoo-user mailing list, but wanted to post this in the forum too:

I just wanted to extend a warm and very heartfelt thank you to everyone out there in the Gentoo community, to the developers for the ebuilds, the bug-fixes and the software, to the forum mods for keeping the forums organized, and to the entire community as a whole, especially the generous users who are willing to take the time to solve the problems of other users without putting them down for their lack of knowledge. You guys really do stand out from all the rest, and it's the collective warm-hearted understanding of the Gentoo community that I strongly feel is one of the chief reasons that Gentoo is catching on so quickly.

You guys are a far far cry from "RTFM," which I used to hear from time to time in other circles, and it's been quite an experience working with you guys and learning new things. I have learned more from the Gentoo community in a few months than I had learned in the two years before my first experience with Gentoo. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you, not just to those who have helped me, but to everyone in general for being so kind and so understanding toward novice Linux users. It was the Gentoo community alone that catapulted me from n00b status to be a much more intermediate Linux user, and the Gentoo community alone that helped me to be able to survive in a 100% Windows-free environment. Thank you :)

James
shift
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me looks in the manual for a standard response to these messages.

:D :) :o :lol: 8) :wink:

You have some great points there.
Gentoo Matrix
the_y_man
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTFM n00b!!!!11111~~~~ OMFG teh manual!!!!! :lol:
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_y_man wrote:
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :?: :?: :?: :?:
the_y_man
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
the_y_man wrote:
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :?: :?: :?: :?:

it was meant to be a joke, that's i thought using leet speak would make it more evident :oops:
ataphoya
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo's forum is by far the most user-friendly forum around, IMO. Great job everyone! :D
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Off The Wall.
PaV
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, sometimes i look at the posts in installing gentoo and see a 1000th post about "network not working after rebooting new installation, livecd had network" and your patient and nice responses i really feel proud being a part of gentoo community. and i would too respond to these questions in the same manner but somebody always beats me to it ;)
Deebster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: A warm and heartfelt thank you to the whole Gentoo commu Reply with quote

MasquedAvenger wrote:
"RTFM," which I used to hear from time to time in other circles

You know, sometimes I feel we should tell people that more... There are polite and helpful ways to say that after all.
For example, in the "Gentoo Desktops for $month" thread, there's ALWAYS at least three posts asking what that weather app is - sometime the answer is already on the same page their post is on.

Still, it is a very nice atmosphere here, and one I hope stays.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A warm and heartfelt thank you to the whole Gentoo commu Reply with quote

MasquedAvenger wrote:
You guys are a far far cry from "RTFM," which I used to hear from time to time in other circles

What, you mean Debian? Shurely shome mishtake... :P

MasquedAvenger wrote:
It was the Gentoo community alone that catapulted me from n00b status to be a much more intermediate Linux user

I think "Apprentice" is the word... The forums never lie! :D

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A warm and heartfelt thank you to the whole Gentoo commu Reply with quote

robmoss2k wrote:
MasquedAvenger wrote:
You guys are a far far cry from "RTFM," which I used to hear from time to time in other circles

What, you mean Debian? Shurely shome mishtake... :P

On that note, anyone interested should check out http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/03/msg00318.html for the official reaction to concerns that the #debian channel has become an unfriendly place to visit.

I would add that the severity of the matter shouldn't be overstated. The majority of folks do get the help they seek when they frequent the channel, and let's face it, if the arseholes really did rule the roost to the extent that some people seem to believe, there wouldn't be anyone going there by now. Plus, there's at least one thread complaining about behaviour on #gentoo as well (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=158092).

Anyone having problems in future, *please* report it to the channel operators rather than just grousing about it here (or as well as, should you feel the need to let off steam :-P). Here's the portion of the mail that describes the procedure:

David B Harris wrote:
By far the best course of action for anybody who feels that they have been offended (whether deliberately or not) is to simply tell those who offended them what they were offended *by*. If the results thereafter aren't satisfactory to any one individual, contacting one of the channel operators is the appropriate course of action. The list of channel operators is available via "/msg chanserv access #debian list", but most #debian regulars are already familiar with the most active from that list.

EDIT: Whoops! It wasn't my intention to completely hijack the thread, sorry. To get vaguely back on-topic:

Yeah, these forums are pretty sweet. :-) Some of the HOWTOs that can be found here are especially invaluable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: