keyboard not recognized
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crystallineChaos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: keyboard not recognized Reply with quote

ok, so i finally got my system to boot to linux. now i have a new problem. well, two really. first off, when i get to the login line and try to enter anything, nothing happens. ctrl-alt-del isnt even restarting. basically, it isnt recognizing my keyboard, or so it appears. the livecd had no problems with either my keyboard or mouse(usb). the second problem is that it fails to mount something. it goes by a bit to fast to really catch, but im pretty sure it is referring to something usb-related. thanks for any help guys
crystallineChaos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i took a closer look at the problems

1 - it fails to load any of my modules (e100, emu10k1, ati-drivers, dummy(?), and some others)

2 - it fails to mount something with usb. it says "mount/proc/bus/usb does not exist"

3 - well, the keybaord worked once, but stopped working after that

4 - found a new one. when i try to log in as either root or my user, it always says the passwords are incorrect...but they arent. it was after a few tries of this, they keyboard quit working again.

any ideas?
Stanley56
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the keyboard using the right keymap? It could explain the strange behaviore of your keyboard.

About those modules that fail to load, I'm afraid that you need to recompile your kernel with support for those modules and USB as well.

crystallineChaos wrote:
3 - well, the keybaord worked once, but stopped working after that

Was that during the install?
crystallineChaos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i messed around a bit more with it last night. here are a few more details

1 - i did the entire module step *exactly* as the install guide told me to do. also, i wouldnt know how to recomplie my kernel with support for them

2 - i made sure i picked the usb options in the original kernel compile because my mouse and printer are both usb. mabey i did someting wrong with that? this is semi-related to the above i guess

3 - the keyboard works flawlessly off of the live cd. of the 6 or so times i have booted to gentoo on the hd, the keyboard has only worked twice. one of those times it stopped working after a few mins. it is a standard keyboard...from how i read, i didnt need to do any keymap setup for it.

4 - fixed this one.
crystallineChaos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an update

1 - while doing number two, i guess i fixed this one too, heh.

2 - well, i messed around trying to recompile the kernel. apparently i had missed some essential usb options in the manual config thing, so i fixed that and recompiled. this one is fixed.

3 - still a major problem. it is having like a 50% change of working on boot up. if it works, then it works untill i reboot...it isnt an intermittant thing. when i say it isnt working though, i mean it isnt working. no keystrokes go in, not even the 3 finger salute will reboot - i have to hit the button on my tower.

4 - previously fixed

5 - a new question, yay! i currently have grub set up to boot to gentoo and xp. how do i add the options to boot to my cd drives and floppy? they are in hdc(dvd), hdd(cd-rw), fd0(floppy). i tried these few things below with no success:

root (hd2,0)
root (hd2)
rootnoverify (hd2,0)
rootnoverify (hd2)
repeat for hd3 and fd0

any thoughts on that one?

thanks for all the help guys...ive learned a ton about linux in the past week.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crystallineChaos wrote:
5 - a new question, yay! i currently have grub set up to boot to gentoo and xp. how do i add the options to boot to my cd drives and floppy?

These options are in your BIOS, not GRUB.
crystallineChaos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know that floppies are the first thing checked when the comp boots up. also, through the bios, i can boot to my first cd drive (dvd). i was just wondering if there was a way to make this easier by going through grub.

the keyboard thing is still my main problem
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can use GRUB for that. Not sure how though. Normal entrys (hd 4,0) won't work, because GRUB ignores cd-rom drives. Maybe man grub.conf can shed some light on this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: