View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horton30
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Super frustrated Reply with quote

I just built an amd 64 3200+ machine. I installed gentoo on it with some porblems but I was able to research the forums to find all the answers. I got it up and running and finally instaleld gnome and got gui, but i rebooted my computer about 15 minutes ago and it really hit the fan. I couldn't log into gnome it would just hang out the splash screen. it kept freezing. i finally was able to get into it as root and i tired to open up firebird and it took like 20 seconds...this is absolutely ridicoulous...any suggestions on waht could be wrong
smith84594
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Super frustrated Reply with quote

horton30 wrote:
I just built an amd 64 3200+ machine. I installed gentoo on it with some porblems but I was able to research the forums to find all the answers. I got it up and running and finally instaleld gnome and got gui, but i rebooted my computer about 15 minutes ago and it really hit the fan. I couldn't log into gnome it would just hang out the splash screen. it kept freezing. i finally was able to get into it as root and i tired to open up firebird and it took like 20 seconds...this is absolutely ridicoulous...any suggestions on waht could be wrong

What specific problems did you encounter during the install? It might be something that happened then that's causing all these problems.
horton30
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nothign real bad, just stuff i had messed up setting up grub and /etc/fstab....the system was running amazing until today. I dont know what happened, i seroiusly am so frustrated right now with it. i used the genkernel if that helps? i was a n00b with linux
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say anything without any info... but typical problem could be DMA mode of harddrive...
Code:
hdparm /dev/hda

to see if mode on.
Dracnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it lock up while at the terminal too (i.e. no gui)? I've had lock-ups before related to my cpu overheating.
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just built an amd 64 3200+ machine.

Could the lock ups be hardware related if it's a new build. Something not seated properly or just not quite compatible*.

Do you have more than one OS on the box to eliminate the hardware from the equation?

*Don't you just love hardware vendors that build on the edge of tolerances so that some hardware just wont play in certain combinations ;-)
horton30
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its not hardware i dont htink...it was runnign compeletely fine...no its not overheating either becuase its liquid cooled and i can monitor the cpu temp all the time
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: