View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lycilph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: X server won't start on boot Reply with quote

I have recently installed gentoo on a computer where I work. It went fine and everything works.

However this computer needs to run X on a host on another computer, which also works if one starts X when logged on as either root or a user.

Then I tried to make it start X during boot by running the "X -query host" from the local.start script, and this is where everything starts to go wrong.

First it couldn't find the host (since the nameservers are not reachable during boot for some reason). I fixed this by adding the host to the "/etc/hosts" file.

The problem now seems to be with the font server, which is accessed through tcp. It keeps saying "x server fatal error: could not open default font 'fixed'". If I comment out the font server in the font path, the error changes to "xdmcp fatal error: Session declined no valid addess".

I would assume that the problems are the same since, it works if one starts X when logged in, but not from a boot script!

Sorry for the long post, but I can't figure this out. Hope you can help
mikulus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make sure you are not starting X from your /etc/rc.conf file. This is the file where you usually tell X to start on boot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: