yaboot troubles on dual boot machine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boojummy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: yaboot troubles on dual boot machine Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently installed a security patch on the OSX (10.2.8) side of my dual-boot OSX/Gentoo box. When I rebooted the machine, it automatically booted into MacOS, even though my yaboot.conf specified booting into Gentoo.

No problem, I thought, I'll just boot off of the LiveCD, chroot, and run ybin again. No luck. Apparently the changes don't take (I've tried this about 5 or 6 times, even futzing with manually specifying everything to ybin/mkofboot). It still just boots into OSX.

I've since discovered that I *can* boot into Gentoo if I drop into Open Firmware and manually specify my bootstrap partition, like so:

Code:
boot hd:10,\\:tbxi

I vaguely remember a post here once about the bootstrap partition needing to be on the second partition, but I ignored that advice since Gentoo was booting fine with the bootstrap being on hda10. Is this really the case? And if so, can I go about changing things around without destroying my other partitions? I also vaguely remember reading about being able to reorder partitions with mac-fdisk, but reading through the manpage doesn't give me any clues about how to do this.

Relevant fdisk infos:
Code:
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1         ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                 54 @ 64        ( 27.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                 74 @ 118       ( 37.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda4        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                 54 @ 192       ( 27.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda5        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                 74 @ 246       ( 37.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda6          Apple_FWDriver Macintosh                200 @ 320       (100.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda7      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh                512 @ 520       (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda8           Apple_Patches Patch Partition          512 @ 1032      (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda9               Apple_HFS Apeirn             20971520 @ 1544      ( 10.0G)  HFS
/dev/hda10        Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap               1600 @ 20973064  (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda11        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 1572864 @ 20974664  (768.0M)  Linux swap
/dev/hda12        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root                94683870 @ 22547528  ( 45.1G)  Linux native
/dev/hda13             Apple_Free                           10 @ 117231398 (  5.0k)  Free space

Thanks in advance,
-b
Red Sparrow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a thread where other people are discussing this problem. It seems to be related to the fact that the 10.2.8 update changes the system's firmware.

(- Steve -)
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had this problem on multiple occasions (when i upgrade the osx system, security patches etc.)

first yes, switch the bootstrap to /dev/hda2

not hard, just:
mac-fdisk /dev/hda
r
(i think, not in gentoo right now, but a quick man mac-fdisk will show exactly)

then, easier than openfirmware is to hold the "alt/option" key down as it boots up, this shows you a list of the disks and coresponding systems (similar to the classic "buttons" theme)
it takes a little while to load but then you can click on the one with the little penguin at the bottom and boot into it.

then try again to ybin....

worked for me, multiple times.

for the record, i am running 10.3.3, but i had the problem and this fixed it under 10.2.8

killfire
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also have to update yaboot if not using the current version, there were fixes for this problem in yaboot code at one point as well ...
boojummy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to post back (I didn't have time to do this until now... sick day) about this. killfire's solution (renumbering the partitions) worked perfectly. As a side note, anyone else who tries this should make sure to reboot after reordering the partitions (for the new partition map to take effect), then boot back up with a boot disk and rerun ybin/mkofboot after making the appropriate changes to yaboot.conf (or run yabootconfig). Yaboot fails otherwise.

Thanks for the help!
-b
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem....

helping is what this is all about.

killfire
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: