Kernel Panic! Still can't boot Gentoo even with Lilo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Kernel Panic! Still can't boot Gentoo even with Lilo Reply with quote

I had some troubles with grub, and decided forget it, I'm going to just use lilo. Anyway, here is my situation, I hope somebody can help me out, or walk me through it.

Gentoo calls my one and primary hard drive HDE. I have

HDE1 -- Windows 2000: fat32
HDE2 -- Extended
HDE5 -- /boot: ext3
HDE6 -- swap
HDE7 -- /root: ext3
HDE8 -- /home: ext3

I installed lilo to hde7. I use the windows boot loader and lilo loads fine, but I boot into gentoo and get:
loading hard drives, devices, etc...

ds: no socket drivers loaded!
VFS: Cannot open root device "2107" or 21:07
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 21:07

hmm, well I tried changing my lilo.conf root= to both my /dev/hde7 (root) and /dev/hde5(boot).. Neither worked.. I will post my lilo.conf at the bottom of this message along with the error I got when running /sbin/lilo during setup.

Lilo error was:

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-3

(it scrolled this quite a few times, then added the windows and Gentoo boot options).. It actually wasn't lilo that dumped this, because I typed lilo > /error.txt and only got : added *Gentoo, Windows.

Here is my lilo.conf file:

boot = /dev/hde5
prompt
map = /boot/System.map
lba32
delay = 50
vga = normal # Normal VGA console
image = /boot/bzImage
root = /dev/hde7
label = Gentoo
read-only # read-only for checking

other = /dev/hde1
#other = /devices/discs/disc0/part1
label = Windows
table = /dev/hde

Any ideas whats going on? I have yet to boot into Gentoo! :( I had so much trouble with grub I just wanted to install a different distro, but I decided I'd stick it out and try once more because this seems like an excellent distro! I want KDE3 damnit :).. Well I hope someone can help.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel Panic! Still can't boot Gentoo even with Lilo Reply with quote

crimson wrote:
Gentoo calls my one and primary hard drive HDE.

Not really sure on the cause of your problem, but the above doesn't sound right, especially if you're using IDE. Do you really have 3+ IDE channels on your mobo?

--kurt
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got an ASUS a7v266-e. It's got the primary IDE, secondary, and then the 2 promise ide slots as well. But I only use the primary, and the secondary. Primary for hard drive, Secondary for CD-ROM. If I wanted I could add up to 8 hard drives.

Mandrake 8.1 detected my hard drive as HDE as well, however older kernels (?) didn't, JBLinux and Slackware called it HDA. I can guarantee my hard drive is connected to the primary slot. I really hope someone can help, I know it's kind of a long post to read through, but I wanted to give enough details to make sure you guys knew what the problem was.

Thanks - Adam
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp -- I'm not a lilo expert, so I can't offer much help there. (except the standard: read the FAQ, check the man page, etc., etc.)

However, I can say that I've had extremely good luck with using grub as the *primary* boot loader (i.e. loaded in the MBR). It hands off control to the Win2K boot loader when I want to boot into windows and was a piece of cake to set up (once I got used to the odd way it addresses hd partitions)

Given that Gentoo uses grub, I'd say you'll have more luck getting grub help here than you will lilo help.

Also, just as a WAG, try disabling the promise controller in your BIOS (assuming you're not using it) The HDE thing still looks fishy.

--kurt
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried grub! It did the same thing! Yeah.. the help for using grub was basically : try emerge lilo then set it up. I do have everything in Bios disabled. I guess I'll just find a different distro, and hope JBLinux gets version 2.5 out pretty soon :) because I can't figure out how to get gentoo to boot on my system.
Gulliver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

jave you enabled your RAID-Controller in the BIOS? If yes, and you don't use it, disable it.
The Linux-Kernel detects the 4 RAID Slots as before the "normal" ones, so they get hda - hdd.
You can also try to replace in the lilo-conf hde with hda, because it's possible, that LILO detect them in "normal" order.

Hope this will help you!
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'd like to thank you guys for prompting me to try a few different things, none as of yet have worked but they helped me find out what was happening.

It seems that I have found the problem! But I'm not quite sure how to fix it. I must go skateboarding first :). Then I will try and get this worked out.

-My 3rd and fourth ide controllers are disabled, or at least as much as possible from the bios. This I have done before.

-I thought this wouldn't work but I tried anyway, setting up lilo to boot HDA in lilo.conf. I ran lilo and got : Fatal! open /dev/hda5 no such device or address; as I expected. Booting from the Gentoo CD it really does detect my primary hard drive as HDE.

However, booting from the hard drive I noticed while the boot steps were flying past that it then detects my hard drive as HDA! So.. What I need to figure out is how to get lilo to update the lilo.conf file to boot /dev/hda while the system detects no device there.

Any suggestions? I'll try just editing lilo.conf, saving, then not running lilo.
Thanks for help everyone --- Adam Knutson
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have something like this with a Soyo Dragon+. My Gentoo 1.0rc6 install (kernel 2.4.17-r5) sees my hd as hda, and my Gentoo 1.1a install (kernel 2.4.19-r1) sees it as hde. In my menu.lst, I have:
Code:
title=Gentoo Linux 1.1a
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/gentoo-1.1a-1 root=/dev/hde7 mem=nopentium hda=ide-scsi

title=Gentoo Linux 1.0rc6
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/gentoo2 root=/dev/hda5 mem=nopentium hde=ide-scsi

title=Icepack Linux 2.0.1
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/icepack1 root=/dev/hda6 mem=nopentium hde=ide-scsi

Weird, huh? :) Notice that hda and hde there are in fact the same disk. For grub, "they is" hd0, as expected, since I only have one hard disk.

I first thought it was related to the Special FastTrak Feature in the kernel config, as I wrote here, but I just compared them and they are pretty much the same. But then, in the same section in the kernel config, I found the option Boot off-board chipsets first support. I have it unchecked in both configs, but the help for it says something about a boot option ide=reverse. I don't have the time to try it right now, but maybe you can see if it works for you.
lain iwakura

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on my asus KT133 av1007 (?) motherboard with the promise controller builtin.

When setting up your kernel options, make sure you compile the right drivers in for your hardware. Compiling in VIA82CXXX support and Promise PDC202 suport did the trick for me., but I'm not sure if this will work for you.

when you boot up from your HD, watch for messages before that "VFS error" comes up. It might say something like, " [hardware] detected but not compiled in." So, recompile with the required support. :D
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably isn't related, but I'd like a little clarification anyways - I thought that you could only boot linux off of a primary (not extended) partition. I've read this 'fact' before but never tried to prove it wrong. Could someone enlighten me please? :)
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic, but I learned this after setting up Gentoo, so yes and no. An extended partition as far as I know can't actually be formatted even. But.. in FDisk you create other partitions inside that extended partition and they become bootable, formattable, etc. So for me HDE2 would be my extended partition while HDE 5,6,7,8 would be in that extended partition.

As of now, I tried a ton of solutions for my problem and will try again some time, but for now I just really want Linux back on my computer so I'm going to use a different distro for a while.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel Panic! Still can't boot Gentoo even with Lilo Reply with quote

crimson wrote:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this error message is related to pcmcia devices. Do you really have any pcmcia devices?

I still can't really see why you cannot use your hd as hde with grub. As I posted above, I use it as hde and it works very well.

crimson wrote:
Booting from the Gentoo CD it really does detect my primary hard drive as HDE.
However, booting from the hard drive I noticed while the boot steps were flying past that it then detects my hard drive as HDA!

In this case, I believe this can work: boot from the install cd and set up lilo like this:

Code:
boot = /dev/hde5
(...) (add your other stuff here)
root = /dev/hda7    # yes, hda7
label = Gentoo
read-only

Tell me if this works.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tested the ide=reverse option, and it works fine. So, if you decide to try again, just use it. You can also use it with the install cd by typing rescue ide=reverse at the first prompt, instead of just hitting enter.
funsize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: ds: no socket drivers loaded! Reply with quote

Quote:
crimson wrote:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this error message is related to pcmcia devices. Do you really have any pcmcia devices?

I don't know if you are wrong, but I get the same error message in dmesg, and I have no PCMCIA code compiled into my kernel AFAICT...

see this thread...

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1539

Everything I can find points to PCMCIA as well...but maybe it has to do with PCI bridging????
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: