View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: xmodmap questions Reply with quote

Well, I'm trying to get the extra keys on my keyboard to actually do something (It's a yahoo keyboard, there aren't any defs for it in xf86config). So I figured out the keycodes of the keys I want(they're approx 150 and up) using xev, and I've been trying to figure out what to do. I traced it down to xmodmap -e "keycode x = KEYSYMNAME" but as far as I can tell there's no way to define a new key "name" that I could use, say in ~/.fluxbox/keys

Does anybody have any experience or could tell me how to do this? Thanks.

P.S., my windoze key doesn't work as mod4, maybe you know what's wrong there too?
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: xmodmap questions Reply with quote

ShadyMilkman wrote:
Well, I'm trying to get the extra keys on my keyboard to actually do something..

I don't know how to do this ( sorry ), but in the meantime you might find this useful:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~syrjala/xmms-itouch/

( Yes, that's me in the changelog. :-) )

It is an XMMS plugin, but you can map it to do arbitary things / run arbitary commands when you press arbitary keys. Might help tide you over until you solve this problem?

-- Curious.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting your Windows key working as mod4 shouldn't be too hard; here's the relevant bit from my.Xmodmap:
Code:
keycode 116 = Meta_L
keycode 115 = Meta_L
add Mod4 = Meta_L

You should substitute, of course, the keycodes for your two Windows keys for 116 and 115, although there's a good chance that they'll be the same. You'll probably want to check out The Linux keyboard and console HOWTO, especially sections 13-15, which are about X, as well as the man page for xmodmap; that's how I figured out how to get mod4 working. I guess an alternative to figuring out how to define new keysyms would be to find unused ones, but I don't really know where to find that info. If you figure out what to do can you tell us? I'm curious too.
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the topic of keyboards, can anyone point me to settings to use all of the keyboard on the Microsoft Natural Pro keyboard.

I would think there would be a keymap for it somewhere already, but I can't find it.

Also, do any of the 'multimedia' keys on the Microsoft keyboards work, or do I need extra software to use those for XMMS etc ?
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in another forum posted a link to this "lineak" software which might do the trick.

lineak
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that lineak works great for those special keys on many keyboards, I've a logitech internet keyboard, and use the special keys for xmms control, starting file search (gnome file-searcher), email (evolution) and browser (Mozilla, waiting for galeon2).

http://lineak.sourceforge.net/

No ebuild but it compiles without trouble.
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative to lineak which uses osd:
Code:
emerge -s hotkeys
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : hotkeys ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  x11-misc/hotkeys
      Latest version available: 0.5.4
      Latest version installed: 0.5.4
      Homepage: http://ypwong.org/hotkeys/
      Description: Make use of extra buttons on newer keyboards.
ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I got my Mod4 working by adding the xmodmap -e commands to my .xinitrc, but the other things don't have support for my KB. Anyway, I've learned some more, and I'm perfectly happy not touching those keys on the top.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: