df and fdisk don't agree [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: df and fdisk don't agree [Solved] Reply with quote

I copied (using Norton Ghost) over my Gentoo installation from a 30GB drive to a 120GB drive. Before I had 3 partitions and now I have 4. / and home are going to have their own partitions now. I made both / and home 58GB each. I copied / from the old drive to / of the new drive. When I boot into the new drive it says that / (/dev/hda3) is only 30GB, which is the size of the parition I copied from. It looks like Nortin Ghost changed the size of the parition on my new drive from 58GB to 30GB but fdisk still says it is 58GB. Is there anything I can do to get the system to see that it is really a 58GB parition?

Thx

Update
Well I figured my system was messed up anyway and I was going to need to find another way to move my install to a bigger hd so I took drastic measures. I booted into the live cd, ran parted and resized the partition. I simply resized it to the exact same size. When I booted back to my new hd, reiserfs -fix something or other ran for a while then the system booted. The filesystem and the partition now agree that the parition is 58GB.
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick explanation: df reports filesystem size, and fdisk reports partition size. In the usual case they're the same, but when you do something like copy a partition image into a different partition they can disagree. Like you saw.
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That is what I found out and it makes sense to me now. Ghost was not good choice for what I was trying to do. IE Move a smaller parition to a larger partition. For future reference, what should I have used?

Thx
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HomerSimpson wrote:
IE Move a smaller parition to a larger partition. For future reference, what should I have used?

I usually use a pair of tar's, a pipe, and the -C option myself, but "cp -ax" (a=archive, includes preserving permissions and times, doing the Right Thing for symlinks and other special files, and recursion; and x=one file system so it doesn't go off copying the destination into itself recursively) is probably a lot easier.

I believe there's a moving to a new hard disk mini-HOWTO on TLDP as well.
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my / partition using ghost. On my new and bigger hd I made a new partition that I am now mounting as /home. I booted the live cd and used cp- R -p and did that directory. In the future I will look at doing what you posted (note I am still a noob at Unix/Linux). Is cp -R -p OK for copying over home directories? Should I re-copy my home directories with cp -ax?

Thx
Astaroth33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the dd command line utility to copy to an unformatted drive, and then I used the commercial program Partition Commander to resize the partitions. Worked out fine.
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HomerSimpson wrote:
Is cp -R -p OK for copying over home directories? Should I re-copy my home directories with cp -ax?

Well, the -a is equivalent (in the man page for fileutils-4.1 I'm reading) to -dpPR, which means you missed out on:
-d: copy symlinks as links
-P: copy symlinks as links, including ones given in the parameter list. [POSIX 2003]

So you have extra copies now of anything you had symlinked. You probably didn't have anything mounted anywhere under /home, so -x probably made no difference.

And the advice: if you're worried, or you know you had many symlinks, go ahead and copy it again. You can even get only the symlinks with:
Code:
cd /old-home
for i in `find . -type l` ; do cp -af "$i" "/new-home/$i" ; done

Fix the /old-home and /new-home paths, of course.
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't create any symlinks but I don't know what the various apps that I have installed may have put in my ~ directories. As long as I have everything I am OK. If I have too much because I have the actual files and not just the link then I am not too worried either as I am only using 6% of my new home partition.

I really appreciate all the info you have all given me. I wish I had asked first and copied second. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: