AMD 64 Processor and Motherboard
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: AMD 64 Processor and Motherboard Reply with quote

I am now approaching the time of jumping from Intel to AMD and have recently posted my idea of the spec I may go for. Now comes the crunch, what is the best processor/motherboard combo? Should I go Opteron? Would be interested to here peoples view and then see what I can buy in the UK.
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what SATA RAID cards people are using successfully?
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD 64 Processor and Motherboard Reply with quote

uxbod wrote:
I am now approaching the time of jumping from Intel to AMD and have recently posted my idea of the spec I may go for. Now comes the crunch, what is the best processor/motherboard combo? Should I go Opteron? Would be interested to here peoples view and then see what I can buy in the UK.

Not sure if it's in my .sig, but the NEO FIS2R is working very well for me. It has onboard Promise SATA RAID.
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you mirroring or striping ?
ulysses_cruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it you are looking for a true hardware based RAID card, I can definitely recommend the LSI MegaRAID cards. Mine's working like a charm. :)

As far as motherboards and processors it all depends on what price/performance match you are looking for. For the high-end I can also recommend the Iwill DK8X motherboard and the Opteron 244 chips. :wink:

Iwill DK8X, 2x Opteron 244, 8x 512Mb PC2700, Geforce FX5600, Audigy 2 ZS Plat., MegaRAID SATA150-6
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For processor, motherboard and RAID card I have set my limit at £1500.00 plus I want 2 x 19" TFT IIyama monitors aswell so about £3000.00 in total.
aut0maticdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: MSI Neo Reply with quote

I have to agree that the MSI boards are hot for AMD64.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20031201/socket_754-38.html

Check out Rocket RAID. They offer Linux and FreeBSD drivers for their hardware RAID cards. I've only used them under 32 bit though. They do offer the source for many of their drivers, so you may be able to build the driver yourself. Otherwise, you are going to want to use something with support in the kernel.

aMd
ulysses_cruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

It looks like you are in about the same price range I was when I built my machine last month. (I spent about $3500, but didn't need to buy a monitor) I purchased my system here in the states, but I would guess that prices in the UK should be about the same (taking in to consideration the exchange rate :wink: )

I would assume that you are looking for a dual processor system, lots of RAM and a fairly large RAID array.

I basically built my system around my RAID array, and based my purchase decisions on that.

I looked at the various RAID cards available and concluded that the LSI cards provided the best mix of price, performance and Linux support. Once I made this choice, I began making the rest of my choices.

First off, to get the best performance out of the RAID card, you need a PCI-X slot on your motherboard. As far as I could find only two reasonably priced AMD64 motherboards provide this: the Tyan Thunder and the Iwill DK8X. I went with the Iwill because it also provided on-board USB2.0 (it is more expensive though) and I planned to have my drd+-rw drive in an external USB enclosure.

Finally, I decided on the Opteron 244 processors because I feel they provide the best performance vs. price at this time.

I still have the spreadsheet that I used as a checklist and cost monitor, which shows all the part numbers and price of all my parts. If you would like to see it just let me know and I would be happy to email it to you. :D

Hope this advice helps.

Ulysses

Iwill DK8X, 2x Opteron 244, 8x 512Mb PC2700, Geforce FX5600, Audigy 2 ZS Plat., MegaRAID SATA150-6
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: